Saturday, November 11, 2017

Climbing the Rocks

My daughter turned six-years-old today.   She wanted to have her birthday party at a rock climbing place close to our house and invite some of her friends from the neighborhood and school.   I was in charge of getting some of the things ready for the party and my husband was responsible for others.

He held up his half of the planning; I was atypically unprepared on my end.   I didn’t get items for the treat bags until late yesterday afternoon, running out of time to get to the grocery store for the food being served at the party.   I got up this morning and went to the store, only to realize when we arrived at the rock climbing place that I had forgotten to get beverages.   I ran to the closest grocery store, got two aluminum foil turkey roasters, a bag of ice, some children’s drinks, water and seltzer by the time the children had just started climbing.

We had lots of family stop in or call today to wish my daughter a happy birthday.   Both sets of grandparents, Aunt Rebecca and also our Uncle Jonathan.    She talked on the phone to Uncle Bob and her Aunt A who was on a retreat in Sedona.

My daughter got presents in the mail, has burned her “year candle”, letting the wax melt one more notch down the twenty-one year candle.   She’s had her height measured in the playroom to see how she compares to last year and her brother at six.   And she’s still not tired.

My son isn’t tired either, for that matter.   I have a marathon to run tomorrow so I’m leaving them in the hands of my husband with the house in birthday-day disarray.   My husband told me firmly, “I’ve got everything.   Don’t clean up.  You can’t help it.”   He knows me so well.

The Big Boy Update:  There are some things my son does to help his sister all the time that I don’t think he even realizes he’s doing.   For instance in the morning he’ll get out plates and cups and ask her which color cup she wants.   Then he’ll get the drinks and pour either milk or orange juice or water—which ever drink she’s told him she wants.    He doesn’t do this all the time, but it’s very sweet when he does.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and son realize there are certain things they don’t get to do anymore without earning the privilege to.   My daughter asked me something today about having some smarties for a stamp (smarties she’d just gotten from her own party).   I told her it was her birthday and she could have those smarties for free.

Marathon Tomorrow:  I don’t think I’m trained up for this marathon.   Certainly not like I have been for prior marathons.   But we’re going to run it in the cold.   There’s a chance we’ll pull to doing only a half marathon but for now we’re planning on running the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment