Sunday, November 12, 2017

Marathon or Half Marathon

My best friend and I ran a marathon today.   She was having problems with one of her feet and I had a hip issue.    We had said as late as this morning that if there was any doubt, problems or issues, we were going to turn in and run just the half marathon.

The race started in a large parking lot at a shopping mall.   We ran around the mall and then onto a greenway trail.   This particular trail is almost completely flat for most of the distance.   We’re accustomed to running hills so this made things easier in comparison.  

We were feeling good at the first turnaround at a little over seven miles and we were both feeling great when we passed the half marathon mark and watched the majority of runners head back into the mall parking lot.

We had a good pace (for us) for the first half but invariably we slowed down for the second half of the race.   I didn’t think I was trained up for the run, but I didn’t start having cramping problems until over twenty miles.   We were tired at the end of the race, but all in all we thought it wasn’t a difficult race at all.  

That’s not bad considering we were planning on only running the half marathon this morning.

The Big Boy Update:   My son has a new show he likes—Brain Games.  It’s a series of episodes that explain how the brain works.   My son can get into some educational television if given the chance.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is playing with cars.   I brought out the bag of toy cars my son used to love playing with.   She’s having a great time with them, driving them over to me and asking me which one I like the best.   Some of them make noise; those are her favorites.

Marathon(s):  I’ve just checked my notes.   I’ve run eleven marathon races.   I’ve run a marathon distance more than that though because of pre-race training.  The total number of marathon distance runs is seventeen.   I didn’t realize it was that many.   That’s a lot of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment