Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Pink Shoes

I really don’t know name brands for most things.   Maybe I’m not an official girl, I don’t know if that’s a thing, but sometimes I feel like I’ve missed out on something I’m suppose to know about or care about.

I was at a donor recognition event last night and there was a mother in front of me listening to our head of school make her speech.   She was wearing a little black dress that looked very nice on her tall, slender frame.   I looked down and she had on these killer pink high heels with rhinestone straps around her foot and ankle.    The outfit was basically the shoes, because once you’d seen them that was the only thing you could look at.

I went up to her after the presentation and told her, “okay, you won the shoe competition tonight, hands down.”   She genuinely said thank you and that her husband had bought them.   Impressive, a man who buys his wife shoes, I thought.   I don’t think my husband would have the interest or inclination to buy me shoes, which is fine by me.    Her husband followed up, saying, “her family owns a jewelry store, so I had to come up with a different angle on presents.”

Later that night as I was about to leave I was saying my goodbyes and mentioned again that it was a good thing her feet hadn’t gotten tired and she’d taken off the shoes because I might just have walked out with them.   Then one of the teachers spoke up, saying, “my husband noticed how much I liked them and asked me if I wanted a pair for Christmas.”   She said she had told him what brand they were and that they were rather out of their price range.  

How could she tell from just looking at the shoe on someone?   Were these famous shoes that I had no clue about?  I don’t even remember the brand name, but it wasn’t one I was familiar with.   If this was an isolated event I’d write it off as coincidence but it happens a few times a year, typically with some kind of fashion thing.  

Maybe I’m just unfashionable?   Actually, I think I’m okay with that.

The Big Boy Update:   In the car on the way home from an event yesterday having nothing to do with buckets, my son told us, “buckets are everything.   You can use them to carry things.   You can use them to climb things.   And if there are a bunch of zombies following you, the water’s got you covered.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said, “gimme some skin.  (That means high-five).”

Taper:  We ran a half marathon distance of 13.1 miles today.   We were in the neighborhood and kept getting interrupted by neighbors but we didn’t want to go into the park because it had rained and was muddy.    It was nice to see the neighbors though.

No comments:

Post a Comment