Monday, October 16, 2017

But What About FaceTime

My daughter loves to call people on the Amazon Alexa.   This morning she had her headphones on.   Sometimes I hear her talk to her iPad saying, “Siri, how many days until November 11th?”  November 11th is her birthday, a day she’s looking forward to as she’ll be the same age as her brother—six.

She asks Siri all sorts of little things like what the weather is going to be like and what time it is.   Today she asked Siri to call her father.   I told her she couldn’t make phone calls on her iPad, that she needed to do so on Alexa.   And then she said, “but what about FaceTime?

We don’t FaceTime much and I think my daughter has only done so on a few occasions, but she was correct, she could FaceTime anyone with an Apple device so I took her iPad and enabled it.   Then we took some time adding in people she might want to FaceTime, starting with her father and me.   Next she wanted to call Papa and spent a bit of time talking to both Nana and Papa.   She wanted to call Mimi and we’ve planned to do so later today or tomorrow.

When she was on the phone with my husband she was looking at his face, merely inches from her nose as she kept the iPad close to her.   She said, “why are you blinking your eyes?”   Then she said, “why are you opening your mouth?”   Next she decided to play with his face, saying she was tickling his nose and ears.   She was seeing something.   I don’t know with what clarity, but she knows where the parts of the face are located and she could see them moving.  

She can find icons on her iPad but she has to work hard to hit them in the right place to open the app, so I know she doesn’t have clear vision, but it’s something.   And now she has the ability to call people visually on the iPad as well as verbally on the Amazon Alexa.   So watch out folks, you might be getting a call soon from her.

The Big Boy Update:  This morning in the car a song came on about free fall.   I asked my son if he knew what free fall was and he told me he didn’t.   I explained what it meant to go into orbit and that the astronauts were in free fall in the space station around our planet.   We talked about how hard it was to get into orbit because of gravity.   I told him, “gravity is one of the strongest forces in our universe” to which he said, “no mom, gravity is one of the weak forces”.    My son just owned me on the subject of the fundamental forces of the universe.   I had to agree with him that gravity was considered one of the weak forces—and yet, look at how strong it is.  Could he imagine jumping into orbit?   He agreed with me and said he wanted to see some YouTube videos of astronauts free falling when he got home from school.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter climbs the door frames with such frequency now that she causes her fingers to bleed.   She’ll come over and ask if they’re bleeding when she feels the skin getting weak.   It’s hard to stop her from climbing because she doesn’t even realize she’s suppose to be stopping when she’s got compromised fingers.   Today she’s already been banned from more climbing and has asked more than once if her fingers have healed enough for her to climb again and wouldn’t bandaids help?

No comments:

Post a Comment