Friday, October 20, 2017

Lost Underpants

This afternoon my best friend called me and said she and two of her girls were going to one of the indoor trampoline places and did I want to go with our children?  Of course we wanted to go, it’s a huge place with trampolines, an obstacle course, big swings that drop into foam pits and dodge ball courts.   We got dressed from our morning cold weather clothes into shorts and met at her house a half-hour later, ready to go.

My children both loved the time.   I spent a good bit with my daughter who needed a lot more management than my son.   The floor and surrounding areas were lower contrast than she can see, but she liked it all, especially the silk climbing ropes and the high-wire swing.   The swing she could hold on to with what looked like barely her fingertips far longer than people expected.   I had to explain about the hanging on our door frames and her having a huge amount of strength in her fingers as a result.   Fingers that are peeling from all the climbing in fact.

I taught my best friend some trampoline moves and helped my son with the same.   They both had a hard time with confidence jumping and falling back squarely on their backs, mostly landing on their bottoms instead.   My daughter tried very hard to do the same thing but she wasn’t able to follow me visually so I tried to show her physically what I was doing.   She has more skill, but wasn’t able to put my words and demonstrations on her to the best of use.

No one really wanted to leave when our hour was up as the lights flashed and the announcement was made, but we had to get to dinner.   My daughter was cross because I didn’t get to help her with one last swing, that being because I’d lost my cell phone in the foam pit after doing a complicated Cirque move with the silks one of the children had shown me.   My watch pinged the phone and I was able to locate it quickly in the pit but time was still up.

As we were walking across the edge of the trampoline field to the exit I looked down and noticed a pair of lace underwear on the floor.   Folks, if you know me, you know I’m not shy.   So I held them up with people all around me and said aloud, “someone lost their underwear, would you look at that”.   As I walked over to two young men who worked there I held them up more prominently and said, “I think someone lost their underwear, I’m not sure how you lose underwear on a trampoline, but I would have liked to see it.”   The two guys looked at each other and were trying not to laugh.  

They took the underwear to the front desk and all the staff there didn’t know what to do with them, saying they’d never had lost underwear before and didn’t know what to do with them.   During this entire time my daughter asked me again and again if the underwear were mine.   I kept telling her I wasn’t wearing underwear on account of the pants being exercise pants that didn’t require underwear.   She wasn’t getting it so I kept explaining how I couldn’t have lost underwear because I didn’t have any.    This got to be fairly funny as it went on, even after we’d gathered our things and gotten our shoes on.

I don’t know who’s lace underwear they were, but I don’t know if the person would have claimed them after all the comments being made about them from everyone around us.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was working diligently on writing out the credits for our sitter, Morgan’s film so she could add them, in his handwriting, to the production.   His sister was complaining because she wanted to be involved and saying something about it not being fair.   She was bothering him so much that she got sent to her room.   As my husband took her upstairs my son kept writing and without looking up said aloud, “this is so much better without Reese.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got some cotton candy at the fair the other day.   She  was busy making a sticky mess of both herself and the bag but not caring because she was having such a good time eating it when she told me, “every time I eat it it’s magic”.   I didn’t understand what she meant until she explained that it just disappeared when she put it in her mouth.   I told her that was one of the most magical parts about cotton candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment