Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I Can’t Find It

Most of the time I don’t get overly bothered by what my daughter has to do to go through her life unsighted.   Sometimes things get to me though.   Let me preface this story by saying first that this particular incident wasn’t an isolated situation involving only her and her lack of vision.  Her brother had a hand in the matter, that being mostly one of irritation and aggravation.

I missed what started it but it was probably the two of them hurrying to get dressed to get downstairs for breakfast.   This is interesting in and of itself because most days we’re trying to get them to hurry up and come down and they’re busy dawdling or delaying.   Whatever happened caused my son though to arrive downstairs first, leaving my daughter to find her clothes and make it down second.

She’s typically down before him, climbing the door frames and waking us up.   Yesterday she was not only second, she was last by a long shot.   I don’t know what happened because I was one flight below, getting ready in the bathroom.  What I did hear though, over and over, was her crying and saying, “I can’t find it.   I can’t find it.”

I never found out what “it” was.   It might have been a piece of clothing or more likely one of her stuffed animals.   But it bothered me.   She couldn’t find it and she was trying—only she couldn't see to locate it.   We’ve been told the best thing based on her temperament is to let her work things like this out for herself.   I also know a lot of this particular situation was more insult or anger rather than frustration or despair.  

But it still bothered me to hear her so upset.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was asked to help out a friend of our sitter, Morgan, with her video project by doing the voice work for a young boy talking to his grandpa (whom he looks up to) about why he drinks coffee in the morning.   My son was very excited to do the voiceover work.  He knows  that his sister had done the voice acting for Morgan’s film this semester already.   I got the script today and we say down to record tonight.   My son took the job very seriously, and even read through the lines himself, practicing his reading.   He’s looking forward to seeing the finished film and listening to his voice animated as a little boy named Greg.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter knows we have unlock codes on our phones and iPads.  Her brother asked for a code for his iPad a while back.   At first I wasn’t sure she could see the outline of the numbers on the black background but she can get them in relation to each other.   When I came home from class tonight she proudly told me dad had set up a code she picked.   She told me what the code was and how it was smilier, but different than mine.   She even brought her iPad out to give me a demonstration of how she can unlock it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment