Thursday, October 26, 2017

How Many Days Until Halloween?

My children are getting excited about Halloween.   They’re asking Alexa how many days until Halloween.  My daughter has a Wonder Woman costume which will be lovely if the weather is warm and terrible if not.   My son has an inflatable Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man costume that is currently being altered for his height by Nana.   My husband is going to be a gladiator and I have a very boring all black gypsy costume.

For me it isn’t about the costume though, it’s about the drink.   The adult drink.   For a number of years I’ve been handing out adult drinks while the children are given candy.   So far I’ve never gotten those two treats confused and broken any laws in the process.

The drink isn’t usually the important point, that meaning the content of the drink.   It’s more about the scenario or the patter around the drink.   Last year I had a cure for the Zika virus, renamed the Freaka Virus.  I had a single white contact that was more disturbing than the remainder of the costume I had.

This year I have some donated vials from a neighbor in the pharmaceutical industry that are going to work nicely for whatever I put in them (as yet to be determined).   The drink this year is Love Potion Number Ten, there being inherent problems with the number nine version—or so the story will go.

It’s more about talking to the parents and coming up with variants of the story so I can hand out as many drinks as possible.   I think I got close to 150 last year.   I suppose I’d better get to the store to get some alcohol soon as Halloween is only days away.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was talking to me about elements today on the ride to school.  I asked him if he knew what Oxygen was and he told me, “it’s one of the ten most abundant elements on earth”.   Okay, I wasn’t expecting that.   Then he asked me about molecules and I told him about the water molecule and how he could impress dad after school if he asked him if he could have H2O with dinner.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got in trouble the other night for whining and balking at doing her homework—so I told her fine, she didn’t get to do it then.   You know what happens next, right?  She has a fit about doing the homework.   She goes on and on even after I took her up to bed.   At one point I asked her if she’d had eye drops done and she tried a last tactic, saying, “if you let me do my homework, I’ll tell you if Daddy did the eyedrops.”

No comments:

Post a Comment