Friday, October 13, 2017

All Day

There are two types of children in this house.   We have the “all day” sort who could happily play on his iPad all day and is in fact unhappy when he’s told he has to take a break and do something in, “the real world”.  

My daughter on the other hand is less-interested in the iPad.  I think there’s a strong correlation to the lack of vision because while she likes playing apps, there’s a significant amount of frustration because she can’t see what the app wants her to do.   She’s reasonably understanding about things, but she needs a lot of help from adults or friends to figure out how an app works.   Once she knows the general process of a particular game she can repeat it, but it’s hard to have fun doing the same things again and again and new games tend to be more frustration than they’re worth many days.

She’ll also watch shows, but her ability to watch shows is far shorter than her brother’s is.    She’ll do a few shows and then want to do something that involves a live person that talks back and interacts with her and helps her through the things she can’t see.  

And as a result of this we have two common sayings in the house that come from my children.   I’ll let you guess which words come from which child.    One says, “it has not been all day!” while the other one says, “but I did that all day already”.

The Big Boy Update:  I was given some very bad news from my son yesterday.   He’s had a girlfriend for over a year-and-a-half now—this girlfriend being the actual college-aged girlfriend of his cousin, Kyle.   He doesn’t get to see Madison very often and I’m guessing the long-distanced nature of the relationship finally wore on him because he informed me, “I have a new girlfriend now.   I’m leaving Madison for her.   I’ll tell you her name later.”   I texted Madison and Kyle because I thought they should know.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I told my daughter she could go to see if Rayan and Keira were available to play this afternoon.   They live two houses over.   My daughter told me. “I just get lost cause I don’t see the house.   I don’t run anymore”.   As I encouraged her to try again I tried to keep my voice from cracking because she said it so calmly, with an air of acceptance that it made me sad but proud of her at the same time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment