Friday, July 28, 2017

This Little Girl That

Sometimes I run over with cute blog things about one child or another.   Sometimes it’s about both children.   While we’ve been on vacation my daughter has been doing her darnedest to be social with every member of our family, including those that are somewhat reticent to be engaged.   She’s been successful on almost all fronts and my family, knowing about this blog, have come to me with all sorts of things she’s said and done.   So tonight is mostly about her.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:
The Pirate Ship:  At the boardwalk the ride she like the most (I think, gauging from the amount of smiles) was the Pirate Ship.   The first time she rode it my husband helped her and her brother board it and took them to the last row, knowing those extremity rows would have the most movement.   She smiled and smiled and you could tell she loved every bit of the motion.   After that and a few other rides we got ice cream and lemonade and then she asked me if she could go again—stipulating she wanted to do it herself.   I said sure and guided her to the steps, which had a turn in them.   The ticket taker realized something was up when she didn’t know where to hand the tickets off but he let her find her own way, this time not in the last row, and for all I could tell she got just as much joy from the ride the second time around.   He helped her off and guided her to the exit area and I told him loudly from far below, “she wanted to do it herself.”  He nodded and we both smiled.

Only Girl Singers:   My niece, Nicole, was trying to introduce my daughter to some music she liked.   My daughter was apparently balking at a lot of her choices and finally explained, “I only like songs where girls are singing.”  Nicole and I talked about it and we do listen to sings with male singers, but apparently those aren’t the ones my daughter likes the most.

Grass Angels:   We went to the playground close to the house today.   On the way back my son and daughter were doing the bit where they run to the next intersection and then stop before the street crossing.   I couldn’t tell what was happening as I walked towards them because my daughter was on the ground.   Then, as I drew close I realized, my daughter was making “grass angels” like snow angels, only much less noticeable but not any less fun.   As we got closer to home she did this at every intersection.   She loved it.  

You Can’t Have a Brownie:  My daughter and Nicole made brownies before dinner tonight.   There was some disappointment across the children, young and old, because the brownies were for after dinner, even though that would make them less-warm at the time.   My daughter told her cousin very authoritatively, “If you don’t eat dinner, then you can’t have a frownie”.

Blackberry Picking:  Uncle Eric has a blackberry bush.   This bush is small and in the corner of the yard, two flights of stairs down from the main living floor of their house.   My daughter told me this evening, “I need to go outside, I’ll be right back.”  The mom who has a blind child in me said, “be careful”.   She headed off with a confident, “I will”.    She reappeared about ten minutes later with a black, ripe blackberry.    From a bush with very few ripe berries.    Picked by a child who can barely tell colors at all now.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been watching a decent bit on YouTube.   The content is all child-appropriate, and it’s motivated him to create Lego things and be more creative or more motivated.    Today he told me while we were at the playground, “Mom, I want to be on YouTube.”   I told him I had a YouTube channel, what did he want to do on his videos?   He had grandiose plans, none of which would be easily executed.   I told him I would be glad to help him so to think it through and we’d get a plan and post something and share it with our families.  


No comments:

Post a Comment