Monday, July 31, 2017

Summer Hot Chocolate

We went to brunch twice while on vacation last week.   In the list of drink possibilities there was hot chocolate and my son and daughter decided that’s what they’d have.   Without whipped cream they both  said.

A few minutes later the hot chocolate comes to the table with a cup of ice smartly brought by the waitress because she predicted complaints on temperature.   After reducing the hot chocolate to barely lukewarm chocolate both children seemed to be happy with their beverage selections.

A few days later at the brunch with Chase from the show Paw Patrol, my daughter ordered hot chocolate again.   This time there were little marshmallows in their mugs that melted almost as fast as we put ice cubes in it to cool down the drinks.  

My son looked at me and then at his drink and said, “hot chocolate in the summer is really weird.”

The Big Boy Update:  After dinner tonight while my husband and I were cleaning up I overheard my son say in a hushed tone to his sister while looking our way, “um, don’t tell the older people…”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to collect shells when we went to the ocean and the inlet  while on vacation.   What she liked doing more than collecting the shells though was cleaning and sorting them on the deck at the house though.   She would ask for a cup and a bowl and she’d move the shells around, cleaning them, then sorting them and then (after putting them back in a single pile) dividing them up again.    While I was out on the deck during one of her shell cleaning times she looked up and said, “do you know why I collect shells?  It’s just one of my hobbies.   I like collecting shells.   It’s one of my only hobbies while I’m here.   It’s my favorite hobby.”   And then, ultimately after all the work she’d done, she decided she didn’t want to take any of her shells home, she wanted them to stay at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment