Saturday, July 1, 2017

Maturing Beyond Her Age

My daughter’s therapist, Dhruti, recently sent us a forty-five minute audio file of the session she had with my daughter last week.   She asked us to listen to it and then she’d call us.    I dutifully played the whole file while getting housework done yesterday, wondering when I was going to get to the shocking or interesting bit but it never really happened.   But I’ve learned by now and I knew there was more to what’s going on than I had training to understand.

A lot of discussions about food was had and when it was too late to have cookies at night.   They played night time and discussions about being asleep and snoring were had and my daughter had them taking turns being the mommy and the child.   At one point my daughter did ask Dhruti to cook her up and eat her.   She wanted to have various parts of her body eaten up and giggled as it happened—was this the telling part?  I really didn’t know.

Then Dhruti and I got on the phone and the good news is my daughter is processing everything she’s going through well.  She’s working through it in her mind and in so doing she’s pushing boundaries, but she’s pushing boundaries knowing there will be consequences.   The interesting thing is, she’s facing the consequences willingly.

My daughter wants to be nurtured, but she also wants to take care of people too, that’s just in her nature—something we see at home all the time as she does things out of kindness to help her brother or her friends as well as my husband and me.

The bottom line is all she’s going through and having to endure is maturing her beyond her years, but as difficult as that might sound, she’s doing it with grace.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was mad.   MAD, that we were talking when he was trying to focus on his work.   He said out loud to the entire room, “stop talking our I’ll uppercut you.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter found something of mine and brought it to me yesterday.   She was so excited about finding it she said after I gratefully accepted the hair band, “I really want to go back in time and do it all again, so could I have your hair bow back?”  I gave it back and we reenacted the scene three more times with her being just as excited each iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment