Sunday, July 16, 2017

I Smell Baked Beans

Tomorrow is double eye surgery day.  My daughter and I are in Detroit tonight with an early arrival time in the morning.   Uncle Bob is also having follow-on eye surgery from his recent retinal detachment.   He has a vitriol detachment now after the retina was reattached, a complication that happens to approximately one in ten patients.   So we’re thinking about Uncle Bob tomorrow as well when it comes to eyes.

My daughter and I got to the airport today around dinner time and as we found our gate we prepared for a bit of a wait due to a delay in departure time.   I told my daughter we had time to find some food so let’s walk down the concourse and see what we could find to eat.    We hadn’t gone one gate down when she suddenly said, “I smell baked beans!”  (My daughter loves baked beans.)   I looked around and the only thing I saw was California Pizza Kitchen, only wait, there was some barbecue place with a small sign just to the side.  

So we walked over to find…baked beans.   And mac & cheese and green beans, all things high up on my daughter’s list of favorite foods.  She and I shared a plate together with me eating most of the other items, being told the baked beans were hers and hers alone.

Tomorrow my daughter may or may not have surgery on her left eye.   The vision has improved from zero to something and knowing Dr. Trese, he will likely elect to do nothing the eye is still healing itself.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and husband went to the pool this morning for a play date with two boys and their father from our neighborhood.   It was cloudy at first but the sun came out a little bit later.   After some time in the pool my son said, “dad, turn around”.   He then touched my husband’s shoulders and asked if it hurt.   Dad said, “maybe a little”.   My son told him in a confident tone, “I think you’re sunburnt”.   It turns out, he was.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was listening to one of the recordings our play therapist air drops to us after the last session with my daughter.   They were having a nice time “playing” together, hiding and then finding some shells in kinetic sand.   Dhruti said the time was almost up and she might not be able to finish finding the shells my daughter had buried for her.   My daughter said in a happy voice, “I can help you, that’s all about friends!”

No comments:

Post a Comment