Friday, September 23, 2016

The Gas Shortage We Didn’t Notice

Okay, the title of this post is untrue, because we did notice there was a gasoline trunk line rupture, we were aware there was dramatically less gasoline available in the southeastern United States and we did know people were going a little over the top worrying about what they’d do with only three-quarters of a full tank of gas and four days before there would be more to purchase.

People were not acting completely rational from some of the stories I heard.   Some people do need to drive long distances and need the fuel.  Others only get gas once per week or less given their commute but since it was a potentially scarce commodity, there was a lot of queueing up at gas stations to make sure you had as much gas as your vehicle could hold.

I don’t pay attention to the news, or as I like to call it, the “Negative News” on account of the large proportion that simply isn’t positive or happy.  My husband keeps me apprised of things and for the most part I stay a happier individual because of all the sad, bad or horrible things I never know about.

Back to the gas though—my husband told me a few days in and we realized we didn’t have to worry about it at all.   We didn’t have to rely on one electric car in case gas ran out, because we had two electric cars.    If we had had gasoline cars, during this particular shortage I think we would have been fine as we drive low milage in general and could have just waited to refuel until the situation was over.

Still, about those electric cars.   It was nice not to have to worry.   But, we’re not immune.   What if it had been a power outage for some time?   If it was in the winter during a snow storm we’d be fine because we wouldn’t be driving in a storm anyway.  If it was in clement weather, well, who knows what would happen on our end.  

We can charge the cars from a regular wall outlet powered by our solar panels, so I suppose we could get enough charge over several days to fully charge the cars back up, but we might not have to worry about that anyway because by then the zombie army would have made it to our city and we’d have other issues to contend with.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has gotten a little jealous my daughter has two special teachers, Ms. Jane and Ms. Raffaella, who visit her.   He wanted to know when he would get to have them come to his classroom.    How do you explain to a child the last thing they want is to need to have a vision impairment teacher need to work with you?    Instead, I reminded him about Bethany, his Occupational Therapist for handwriting (which is getting better) who came to visit him and was his special friend.   He likes Bethany.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is very honest—or at least I thought she was.   I asked her the other day if dad had done her drops.   She said he had.   I asked her, “are you sure?  What would daddy say if I asked him?”   She sighed and said, “okay, no.”

No comments:

Post a Comment