Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Some Days Are Downers

I’ve mentioned before that when picking the title for this blog I almost went with, “Nothing to Complain About” so I would have a daily reminder to be positive and not use this blog as an avenue for complaints or negative thoughts.    Still though, some days it’s hard to be positive.

We’ve been trying to, “travel in hope” with my daughter’s vision but as of this point we haven’t seen really any vision improvement from her initial loss last year at this time.   She is more functional due to her acclimation and adaption to what she can see, but there’s no real improvement.

Will she need to read braille and use a walking cane if she doesn’t get some sight back?  Yes.   Will she need to go to a special school (a half-hour drive away) for what might be the best education/attention she can get starting next year?  Possibly, maybe even probably.  

It’s depressing.   I’m a bit depressed about it.   I typically manage fine but sometimes I spend time facing the facts of her situation and it’s hard.   This is called, “coping” which is important and I don’t try to avoid thinking about her future; but I don’t try to wallow in it either.  

Her right eye just isn’t seeing much of anything at all.   That leaves the left eye in not a good state and doctors who are hesitant to act on the eye in case it makes things worse.   I have a husband who’s afraid anything done to the left eye could be disastrous or make things worse and I don’t know that I disagree with him.

I just want her to see a little bit better.   She can’t see or recognize one-inch letters right now and she’s not able to discern reasonably large shapes in front of her like a heart or star.    This doesn’t bode well for improved vision.

So right now, I’m down.   I’ll probably be fine tomorrow, but some days are hard when you’re dealing with a reality you don’t like.

The Big Boy Update:  On to happier things—my son’s halloween costume came in today.  He selected it from a catalog and it looks great on him.   Here he is posing as the NinjaGo character, Lloyd:


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I’ve been doing my daughter’s hair one way for a while: pulling back the front into a little elastic band on the right side.   This bundle of hair seemed to get in the way a lot when she leaned over, even though it kept the hair out of her face.   Recently I decided to try doing the same thing on both sides with a part down the middle.   It looks nice on her and her hair doesn’t get in the way nearly as much.    I think she likes it better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment