Saturday, September 24, 2016

It’s Not Budging

I thought I had something to write about tonight but on review of my blog post topics list I find nothing new or even interesting.   For some reason I thought I had one of those, “that would make a good blog post, I’d better write it down” moments earlier today but apparently not.   When this happens I usually sit here for a few minutes, reviewing the blog post topics I have on my list that I’ve been avoiding writing about because they’ll be long posts, their time may not yet be right or I’m just not in the mood.   That’s tonight—I’m sitting here, looking at the topics list not really knowing what to write about.  

I have another option though.   I can look at the list of topics for my children’s blog sections and make it into the main blog post.    That’s what I’m doing tonight.  

My daughter had one of those days where she said far too many cute, funny or memorable things.   There was fifteen minute period I had with her outside, her in a frilly dress trying to drive the tricycle on the grass.    She is much too big for this tricycle, given to us by our friends John and Joan, but she persists in riding it around the house.

I hid it in the attic one time but she found it and managed to carry it down two flights of stairs to the main floor.    So today when she said she wanted to take it outside and could I hold the front door open for her so she could carry it out, I wasn’t surprised when she said, “mom, I can carry it down the steps myself.”   I told her I knew she could carry it all over the place.  

She went out on the road but when she realized I was next door looking at some tie dying laying out to dry.   She pedaled up their sloped driveway and when she couldn’t pedal any more, she got off and picked up the tricycle, carrying it up the remainder of the way.

She looked at the drying, colorful shirts with me.  I told her I was going back home.   She decided instead of going on the paved surfaces she wanted to go with me, through the tall grass, pedaling the tricycle.  

It was tough going.   She asked for a push.   She pedaled so hard the front wheel spun.   She didn’t get angry at all, but after the third time getting stuck she sighed and said, “it’s not budging.”   Then, she got off, picked up the tricycle and carried it the rest of the way to the sidewalk.    She got back on and happily pedaled off, knees almost hitting the handlebars.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted spaghetti with the sauce only in the middle of his bowl tonight at the restaurant.   I think he wanted to see some untouched noodles on the side.   He was disappointed to see sauce over all the noodles when his meal arrived, but he managed without getting upset.   Then he proceeded to put more spaghetti in his mouth than I’ve seen him eat in a long time.   He managed himself very well at dinner, wiping his mouth and hands on his napkin and being polite. I was quite proud of him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been known to like salad.   At dinner tonight Nana shared her salad with my daughter and Papa.   There was some silent eating for some time, punctuated with crunching of croutons from my daughter’s direction.   As everyone was finishing their salads my daughter looked up and said, “could I have some more lettuce?”  Fortunately there was enough for her to eat until her meal arrived a few minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment