Wednesday, September 14, 2016

I Have a Whim That Needs Catering To

For most of the day today unless my two sick children weren’t sleeping, I think my children wanted their every whim catered to.    “MOM!” was the most repeated word in the house today, by far.   It was spoken in many different tones of voice from whispery soft to an angry shout.   Usually the volume got louder and the tone more harsh when I didn’t respond immediately, dash forth and see what I could do to help.

I say this in relative sarcasm—I have five- and four-year-old children who were feeling crummy and needed help.   But they weren’t sporting dangerously high fevers today, they just weren’t feeling great.  My daughter had a tiny fever for some of the day.   My son wasn’t interested in resting as much as his sister.   He was more interested in his iPad which he hasn’t seen in a while since school has started.

My son would call me over from working at the computer to the couch where he was sitting.   I’d ask him what he needed.   He was sitting up, arm right beside the end table but he wanted me to help him have a sip of his lemonade.    I helped (multiple times) but had to laugh because the whole thing reminded me of this picture I saw years ago:


Last night was fairly good for both children.  Several times though, multiple times my daughter yelled for us at the top of her voice to come upstairs.    We ran up, worried she’d vomited or worse to find out she wanted a sip of water or, “the cooler blanket instead of this hot blanket”.

So good news, neither of my children are that sick and are making sure to take advantage of all the special treatment they can (my daughter even talked me into a popsicle for lunch).   Tomorrow they’ll be home again because they can’t go to school as they had had fevers for some part of the day today.

The Big Boy Update:  My son said on the way to school yesterday: “treat other people the way you want to be treated.”   I told him I thought that was a great example of the grace and courtesy I knew he practiced in his class at school.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves tactile things (as her vision is less-functional).   She’s been playing with the kinetic sand recently, creating some interesting things.    She also made some great hairy people with the play doh set over the weekend.   Remember how you would squeeze the play doh out of the head of the character and he’d grow spaghetti hair on top?    That’s her favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment