Thursday, September 22, 2016

And the Question Is…

I was in a class today.   We were learning policies and expectations and all sorts of things you might need to know.   The person giving the class did a lot of talking and explaining.   From time to time someone would raise their hand and she would stop to listen to their question.  

During the class there were multiple people asking questions and I started taking notes after a while because I suppose it was interesting to me.   Instead of asking, “what should we do if we think the child has a fever?” the question asker would say, “my question is: what should we do if we think the child has a fever?”

I heard, “so, I have a question, <asks question>” and, “so, quick question <asks question>” the latter of which was never “quick”.  

I wondered if I did the same thing when I asked a question.   I’m a big participator, question asker, involved student in things like these.   But I was also a corporate instructor for ten years and I am neither shy nor unsure when I ask a question.  

Maybe it was because much of the questions asking was being done by young ladies, eager to learn but possible anxious about how much they didn’t know.    I’m not sure, but I’m glad they were asking questions.   We all found out a lot of good information.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son could well sleep in his new halloween costume.   He’s very happy about it.   Tonight we told him he had to take it off to eat.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been coming downstairs multiple times each night.   I talked to her before she went to sleep last night saying she didn’t need to come downstairs unless there was a reason to, but if she had a reason, she could come down and tell us.    Later in the night she came down, climbed in the bed and said to me, “I don’t know what to say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment