Friday, June 5, 2015

The One Outfit Day

Something has started happening in our household lately.   Our children get up in the morning, get dressed for school and come down for breakfast.   They have selected their outfit from underpants to socks sometimes with an eye for fashion and other times with a seemingly expert ability to clash every part of their attire.

We head off to school after breakfast and I wave to the children as they walk into school.   At noon when we come back to pick them up, both children are still wearing the same outfit.   This means there were no accidents and no paint, water or other kitchen events that would make their clothing wet or dirty enough to merit a change.

We may head off to lunch or go home.  We might have activities away from the house or it might be an afternoon of playing in the back yard with friends.  When it's time for dinner, the children come in—after both managing their toileting needs themselves—to eat their meals.  

Bath time ends the day.   The children come in, take off their clothes, put them in the hamper, select far more toys than any two children could possibly need to put in the tub and then proceed to have an uproarious time in the bath getting clean.

What I've noticed lately is the very same outfit they came down stairs with in the morning is the one going in the hamper before bath time.    That means we have two toilet trained offspring that can manage their bodily needs appropriately.    It also means less laundry.

I'm very proud of my children for the independence they demonstrate on a daily basis.   Maybe we'll have them start doing their laundry next?

The Big Boy Update:  My son called out in the middle of the night, which is unusual.   I went to check on him and found out his hand had fallen asleep.   I talked to him about what that meant while I massaged his hand and helped him get comfortable so he could go back to sleep.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We went on a walk around the block after dinner.   My husband and mother went with us.   As the children collected flowers,  they delighted in running up and giving them to Mimi.   As we got towards the end of the walk, my daughter got one large flower and said she was going to give it to Gramps when she got home.

Fitness Update:  Upper body workout in the gym today.  I wonder how my arms will feel tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment