Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I Wish I Could Be a Mermaid

We had a gathering of families tonight at our neighborhood pool.   We met at dinnertime and each brought something to eat.  Some of the children didn’t want to eat, they wanted to get in the water straight away.   My two had so much fun in the water they were perplexed there was no food available at eight o’clock when we were leaving.  

But there was a problem.   There were horse files.   I don’t know the actual type, but they were biting or stinging flying insects that had a strange honing in behavior.   Once they decided you were the one, there was no stopping them, short of you being bitten or them dying.  For the most part, we got bit and they got away.

Two days prior I had met with a bad round of horse flies so this time I came prepared with a fly swatter.   It helped very little, but I did swing it around a lot.   I got two flies, but there were so many it didn’t seem to make much difference.

When you were “selected” by a particular fly, there was no relenting.  we would hide under the water and upon surfacing, these sometimes invisible, sometimes in your face insects would be right back, landing on you and leaving their mark.

As we got more frustrated, my son said aloud, “I wish I could be a mermaid so I could go under the water.”

At that point, I would have been glad to be a mermaid to get away from the horse flies too.

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes to make friends.   At the pool, he will gladly interact with anyone and everyone around him.   He’s not bothered by their personal space in the pool, he’ll just get right up into your space and have a conversation with you about something you may or may not care about.   He is also friendly about pool toys—he will take any he sees, not particularly worried about the owner, because, hey, toys are toys.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had our parent teacher end of year conference with my daughter’s teachers today.  She has made significant progress over the year in her class.   I’m looking forward to next year when she’ll get more into language and start math.

No comments:

Post a Comment