Friday, June 12, 2015

Self-Management

Today was the last day of the school year for our children.   We celebrated with an all-school picnic in a local park.   My husband was coordinating the event’s food.   He arrived early and was in the main shelter, working with people dropping off food and answering questions as needed.    I spent a lot of time up there as well, more than I anticipated.

I spent more time because, well, there was a lot of food.   We got the first crack at the hot pizza and the popsicles after we’d finished lunch.    There was a large amount of fruit brought by families and some other desserts that all looked delicious.   I had issues with those desserts.   I had a strong need to try them all.    As far as calorie control goes, today was an unmitigated disaster.

The interesting thing about the entire afternoon was our children though.   We didn’t watch after them.   We assumed they were on the playground, playing with their friends.   We trusted they’d come to us if they needed anything—and they did.   There were requests for a popsicle.   There were later requests for fruit.  

Other than that, they took care of themselves, including cleaning up and bringing their things to the car when it was time to go.  I think my children had a great time today.   I know my husband and I did, as we spent over two hours talking happily to friends from our school.

I like this level of independence my children have grown into.

The Big Boy Update:  My son not only will use the “wee wee bushes,” he’ll use the wee wee grass or anything else he deems is outside and worthy.   This sometimes is not appropriate.   He peed in the grass at Rudino’s when I wasn’t looking and even though it was out in an area people didn’t walk in, a waitress put a chair over the spot.   I had to help him understand going in the flower pots at the pool was not okay (he was gearing up to go when I caught him.)  Today, we had a talk about Bryna’s grass and how it didn’t qualify as a “wee wee bush,” even if he had to go quite badly.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Sometimes television series will go Broadway and have an entire episode where everyone sings every line.   I can think of four shows I know that have done this, and it always turns out funny.   My children’s favorite show, Transformers: Rescue Bots, did a singing episode.   My daughter loved it.   Before the show was over, she was trying to sing along with the characters.

Fitness Update:  I walked two miles, but in no way did it make up for the massive, massive amount of food I ate today.   I look bloated.   But boy, was it tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment