Thursday, June 25, 2015

Celery

After I had my two children I realized there was a good bit of weight I didn’t need that needed to go.   There was a bout of dieting that was successful after a long, relatively hungry number of weeks with the support of my husband who also decided to diet at the same time.  It was during that time that I cultured an addiction to broccoli.  

It was low in calories and very filling.   It never seemed like much of an exciting food before, but it turned out to have a nice flavor once you ate it several dozen heads of it.   It was sweet, even in the stalk/stem areas that commonly were thrown out when prepared at home.   It was good raw and didn’t need anything added to be a nice snack.

I liked it cooked and served with meals.   I liked it regularly and I suppose that regularity coupled with other sorts of diet and exercising choices helped me to lose the weight.   My love of broccoli continues, but I have a new favorite vegetable now.  

This time there wasn’t so much weight to be lost.   It was spring time and there were parties and vegetable plates were showing up on platters as I mingled with people.   There was broccoli, but I was old friends with it and I was looking for something new.   Celery.   It was boring, but it had a nice crunch.   It had a great crunch and if it was fresh enough, I could crunch straight through the stringy parts.    Celery started being fun.

I got heads or stalks or bushels of the stuff.  (I need to look up what the term is for a full bunch of celery when I’m done with this post.)   I ate celery all day one day I think, and then I discovered there is such a thing as too much celery in your diet the next day.

I’m a little more tempered in my consumption of celery now, but I really do like the stuff.   I grabbed two stalks before going to get the children then decided to turn around and get more stalks, because two just wasn’t enough.   Celery is my new favorite diet food.    That is aside from cookies.   I just LOVE cookies.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked me as I put him in the car, “Mom, can I see your fashion?”  I wasn’t sure what he meant until I realized he wanted to see what color I’d had my fingernails painted.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The children apparently learned about the Americas today at camp.   On the way home, my son was talking about North America and asking me questions.   When we got home, my daughter launched into a song about North America and South America.   My daughter sang long and loudly, mostly repeating the words, “North America, South America” over and over.

Fitness Update:  We ran five miles this morning in beautiful weather.   Rain was predicted for around eleven o’clock but at about six-thirty in the morning the rain (and associated lightning and thunder) came well ahead of schedule.   We curtailed our run on grounds of safety when big bolts of lightning are hammering down around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment