Sunday, June 21, 2015

First Senior’s Discount

I got my first senior’s discount today.   I was pretty excited about it.   I was not expecting it.  I sure didn’t argue it, though.

My in-laws came to visit today for Father’s Day.   When they arrived we decided to go to a buffet for lunch that everyone likes.    We packed the children and the rest of us into the minivan and headed to the restaurant.    There were complications getting out of the car due to some unexpected sleepiness on the part of my children, but we got inside and started getting our drinks.

I went up to the cashier to tell her how many were in our party.   I first told her four adults and two children.   Then I corrected myself saying, “wait, that’s two seniors, two adults and two children.”   My son was walking up about then and asked in a loud voice, “Mom, are you old?”   It told him that yes, I was old and then told the cashier this was an improvement because last time he decided to tell me, “Mom, you’re not old, you’re fat.”

The cashier thought this was so funny she said,  “I’ll tell you what: since you’re old, I’m going to ring up four seniors and two kids today. “

The Big Boy Update:  My son rode home from the pool the other day in our friend’s car.   Since the pool is only two blocks away in our quiet neighborhood, we let the rules on car seats and seat belts relax.   He was in the back seat, wedged between Dylan (our good friend’s daughter) and his sister.   He looked at them and then said out loud, “I’m with my favorite girls.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter loves to sing.   She sings and doesn’t know or understand the words, which bothers her not one bit because she just sings syllables that sound close to her.   Two days ago we were stuck in traffic so I put the music on and turned it up.   She was belting out, “All About That Base” in her car seat at the top of her lungs, dancing in her seat as she did so.

Fitness Update:  Given that today is summer solstice, my neighbor and I wanted to run a half marathon distance but due to scheduling issues on both sides, we had to do it in parts.   We ran eight miles starting at five o’clock in the morning, welcoming the sunrise and enjoying the seventy-five degree weather before she had to get back so her husband could leave.   Then we finished out with five-and-a-half miles mid-afternoon in ninety-three degree weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment