Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Paper Pile

This isn't about a pile of papers on my desk.   It isn't about a pile of papers my husband has on his desk (although trust me, there's a tall pile there I could say some things about.)   It's not about paperwork I need to complete or stacks of coloring work my children have done.   It's about a pile of paper napkins in my pantry.

We use cloth hand towels at our house when we eat.   I started years ago with a few white cloths for cleaning purposes and gradually grew to more and more cloth towels being used for more and more purposes.   When there were infants around, there was an even greater need for cloth hand towels for cleaning up all manner of things baby.

Today, we reach for a cloth hand towel for our napkin at meals.   I wash them after meals with the ones we used during the cooking and cleaning process and put them back in the "cloth drawer" when clean.

When we get drive-through food we get napkins.   When we order food at a restaurant for take-away and bring it home, we get napkins.   Commonly, there are more napkins that we need.   So, we put them in a stack in the pantry for when we need napkins next.  

Only we never get around to using them.    The stack is over two inches high and contains a mishmash of differently shaped and colored napkins with logos from many restaurants.

We do use paper towels from time to time.   Well, I say that; I use one every so-often, but other people come to the house and use them.   I wonder if  I could put a pile of napkins out and they'd use them instead?

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my son about his morning at lunch.   It was Grandparents day at school and Mimi and Gramps had come to his classroom to see him and look at what he did in the classroom.   I asked him how it went and then I asked him what work he showed Mimi.   He said, "that's enough talking," looked down and kept eating his food.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Hair Crazy.  My daughter's hair can go all kinds of crazy.   I think I may finally have a formula that works for her.   Wash, condition, spray heat protector spray, dry well and voila, the next morning her hair is calm and smooth looking.   Then, to add a bonus to the formula, I've found hair bands she will leave in that don't bother her.  

Fitness Update:  Six miles this morning in my Hoka shoes.   This afternoon, I returned my Hoka shoes to the store.   I got this fancy brand because they have thick, fluffy soles that make it feel like you're running on a marshmallow.   Many people love these shoes and I, too, would have preferred them except one of the shoes rubbed a blister on my foot.   I tried several things to get around the blister issue, but none worked for longer distances.   I took them back to the store I get most of my shoes from and through their guarantee, was able to exchange them for a pair of Brooks shoes designed for street running.   I hope to wear them for the upcoming Rock and Roll Marathon I'm running in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment