Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Butcher

I went to the grocery store today to get some things for dinner.   My husband and I are trying to lose a few pounds and we decided salmon, asparagus, broccoli and squash would be a good meal.    I stopped in to get several of those items with my daughter mid-afternoon.

I had asked my husband about the salmon: how much to get, where to get it, etc.   He told me I would have to ask the butcher directly and he would make up a package for me.    When we got to the butcher area, I looked around and then asked the man behind the counter for a pound of one of the types of salmon.   And then I almost asked him, "is that what my husband usually gets?"

I smiled and realized this man had no idea who my husband was, or if he did, that I was his wife, because we don't typically shop together and when we do, we don't stand about chatting in the meat aisle.

Undoubtedly there are butchers who know both the husband and wife and their preferences in selection and cuts, but in this case, I'd never met the man before.    So I did the obvious thing next: I told him what I had almost said.

We laughed, as did the man standing beside me.   The butcher said, "if this had been my last store I bet you I would have known.   I worked there for nineteen years."   I thanked him for the salmon and told him I was sure he'd see my husband soon because he is (as my son likes to say,) "the cooker" in our family.

The Big Boy Update:  My son knows which song is my favorite in the movie, Frozen.   He came running downstairs this past weekend while I was writing a blog post and said, "mom, the reindeer song is coming up!"   I stopped writing and went upstairs with him so I could watch that part with him.   How sweet!

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  First manicure.   My daughter went with me today when I got a manicure. She picked out a green and very sparkly fingernail polish and then shyly stood by me for a few minutes.   One of the ladies asked her if she wanted to get her nails painted and she nodded yes.   Then the lady said, "do you want Sherry or me to do it?"  My daughter pointed at Sherry and then went over to her station, say calmly and quietly and had her nails painted.   She sat in the drying area and waited for them to dry and then we went home.   She is very happy to have green fingernails.

Fitness Update:  Five miles this morning.   I may have screwed up any weight loss potential today due to dinner though.   It was healthy, low-calorie dinner, but I ate a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment