Saturday, April 18, 2015

5K School Run

Our school had their first 5K race today.   It was a fundraiser for some of the older students to go on their end of year class trip.  It was an ambitious endeavor for a small group of students, (and one very enthusiastic parent,) to put on but it was a success and a fun social event for parents and children alike.

My two got out of the car, found one of their friends from school and began running around and around, potentially killing all the energy they might have for the race itself.   We checked in, got t-shirts, race bibs and then had coffee at the snack table and chatted with other parents before the race started.

When the race began, we all ran off into the wooded park, strollers, students and parents alike.   Over time, many of us dropped into walking and pushing and riding.   My son got in and out of the stroller, saying he needed to charge up.    My daughter, still getting over being sick, mostly stayed in the stroller.

We finished after forty-five minutes to cheers of staff, students and other, earlier finishers.  Then, we had more coffee, water and fruit.  

I had a great time.   I love social events like these.   Everyone had fun and we burned some calories in the middle of it all.   I hope they have another race next year.

The Big Boy Update:  My son didn't have a tutu like Uncle Jonathan's to run in today for the race, but he told me he didn't need one.   He said his shoes were fast, with rockets built into them.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I suggested my daughter run the 5K today in her fluffiest of tutus.   She's not that much of a girly girl, but I told her her tutu was a tradition for many men and women when running races.   I don't know if she cared, but boy did she look cute running in it.

Fitness Update:  Our school's first 5K was today.   All four of us ran, my husband may have hurt his foot, but we'll see what the ibuprofen does to help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment