Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hot Dog Cinnamon Toast

The best way to get children to like/eat something is to tell them one of their favorite people loves that particular thing.   I decided to try something out that I remembered from my childhood to see how it would go over:  hot dog cinnamon toast.

My mother wasn't one to let bread go to waste.   When there were leftovers, no worries, she would repurpose them.  When we had extra bread, say in the form of hot dog buns, she would just make me cinnamon toast with them.  Over the years, those strange bread items became fun.   She might serve hamburger bun garlic bread or we'd have a hot dog itself on slices of bread.   Either way, things were used up.

One of my favorites though was cinnamon toast on hot dog buns.   I think it's due to two factors:  first, I don't like overly crunchy toast.   Hot dog buns are extra thick so they're soft when made into toast.   Second, it's fun to hold and eat.  You start at one end and move down the bun, now halved into two pieces.

I tried this special treat the other day, saying it was something Mimi made for me when I was little that I loved.   My children loved it too.   I think they loved it more than I anticipated because today, when regular cinnamon toast appeared on their plates for breakfast, there was loud complaints that it wasn't hot dog cinnamon toast.

The Big Boy Update:  As I buckled my son into his seat this morning he told me, "daddy's old."   I said, "he is old, and I'm old too."   He replied, "mommy, you're not old, you're fat."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes to keep her hands clean.   She doesn't like to wash them after going to the bathroom though.  She will tell me, "I don't have to wash my hands, I didn't touch the potty," after pulling herself up onto the seat and holding on to it with both hands while she goes.   She's found a short cut she likes to call, "Hand Buhtizer" and is fond of looking for the hand sanitizer anywhere we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment