Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Five Pounds of Be Quiet

If I remember correctly, it was about this time in my parent's lives that I said something unkind to them that I remember to this day.   I would guess they were in their mid- to late-forties and they had been bemoaning the problems of weight loss.   There were comments about five pounds here and there that popped up all the time.   If only they could lose five pounds, things would be ever so much better was the message I was hearing—only they weren't getting around to losing the weight, they were just talking and talking about it.

It was one day we were leaving the house, about to walk out the front door when I said something like, "could you all just lose the weight or stop talking about it?  It's only five pounds, I don't know what the big deal is?"

My parents didn't complain or get mad at me, they just were quiet about it and didn't talk about it in front of me any more.  Today, I understand where they were coming from though.    Food is so GOOD.  I love food.   I love to eat food, talk about eating food and dream about food.   I like all kins of food and I like food far more than my body needs me to like food in order to sustain myself for survival purposes.

I wish food wasn't such a big thing in my mind.   I wouldn't mind if I could turn down the desire to eat and enjoy foods just a bit, because it is very easy to gain five pounds without really trying to.  In fact, if I'm not steadily watching my overall consumption of calories, I'll slowly tick up in weight.  

So from the me in my teens to my parents in their forties, I'm sorry for those critical words.   I get it now.

The Big Boy Update:  My son went to his friend's house two days ago to play in their basement and he came home with a large helicopter he had borrowed.  He was so happy he fell asleep on the sofa, hugging it, until well past dinner time.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Uncontrollable wailing.   My daughter spent the afternoon with Uncle Jonathan.   On the way home she fell asleep and hadn't had a snack.  When she woke up, she was a total wreck.   She was lying on the floor, screaming and crying, stomping the floor and walls with her socked-feet and talking incoherently.   She couldn't pull it together enough to eat her food dinner and talking to her made it worse, so we just let her cry it out until she quietly got up and demolished her bowl of pasta.   Then, she was back to her normal self.

Fitness Update:  Fast 5K today for an extra calorie burn and hopeful appetite reduction for the day.   Did I mention my neighbor and I as well as my husband decided to get serious and get the few pounds off we've been complaining about?  We started in earnest yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment