Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Aged M&Ms and Me

I'm frequently behind in blog post topics.   By that I mean I take notes here and there of things I want to write about, but at the end of the day I usually only pick one of the things on my list.   I've been meaning to write about something that happened on Easter Sunday, but time and blog has gotten away from me.   So, as you read this next bit, imagine you're still full from a big Sunday meal and there have been nothing but pastels and plastic eggs stores for weeks...

Shortly before Easter Sunday, I went up in the attic to find some baskets for my children.   I was planning on putting a variety of things in them including chocolate, candy and toys—mostly of varieties I like to eat.    While I was up there, I found one basket that would work for one child and then a second basket I realized was my Easter basket from when I was young.    Interestingly enough, it still had some green "grass" in it. 

I brought both of them down and started to fill them up.    While I was working with the old basket, I rearranged the green grass and heard something raining down underneath that sounded like sand.    I pulled everything out and found a small M&M packet, now burst open at one end.   The internal chocolate of each candy had dried up into a powder, although a good portion of the shells were still intact. 

I couldn't believe it.   I mean, how in the world had I missed candy in my Easter basket?!   And let's be clear here, this wasn't a particularly large basket, it was about the standard size.   I looked at the very dated packaging but couldn't find a date:  


Then, I looked in the trash can at the remnants of the candy.  I noticed there were only dark brown M&Ms, not dark and light brown M&Ms.    I don't remember when they got rid of the light brown ones, but that told me they were newer than I originally thought. 

Then I remembered college: I was in a townhouse and on one Easter morning, there was a basket of candy at my front door (a surprise from my mother.)  I was far too old for the Easter Bunny to come and visit, but I think I remember that basket more than any other one from my childhood.    Maybe the M&Ms were from then.

Speaking of old, I got a letter from AARP today, telling me I should consider joining.   And to think I thought my toddlers could make me feel old!

The Big Boy Update:  My children are sick today.   My son was lying on the couch, looking pitiful and said, "bring me the purple medicine."   (Advil)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is also sick.  I was trying to get her to nap mid-day, which she rarely does and didn't particularly want to do today, even though she felt awful and was hardly staying awake.   I got her in her bed and told her I'd be back to put the clothes away.   When I returned, she watched me and made comments.   I was talking very quietly back to her when she said, "mom, you don't have to be quiet to put up the clothes."

Fitness Update:  Returning to the gym.   I wasn't sure if my trainer would recognize me, what with my absence over the last weeks, but he gave me a big hug this morning—imaging being hugged by a friendly, black bear—and then showed no mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment