Friday, April 5, 2013

The Third Person Post

Momma is writing her post in the third person tonight.  She doesn't normally do so, but since this post is all about the silly things people do when they talk to children, that's what she's going to do.  She's been thinking about this for some time, longer in fact than her children have been alive because it's something she's noticed and doesn't understand at all.  And yet she's caught herself doing it so many times by now that she realizes it must be more complicated or ingrained behavior in adults than she initially expected.

Okay, I can only do one paragraph in the third person because it's just weird referring to myself that way.  When I'm talking to you, my imaginary readers, I know you're adults or at least have the reading comprehension to understand what I'm saying.  You know who I am, I don't have to refer to myself by name.  I trust you'll remember who's talking to you in the middle of a paragraph.

So why is it we revert to this unnecessarily informative communication when we talk to children?  Initially, as tiny babies, we want them to know who we are.  We tell them, "Mommy is going to get you more milk.  Mommy will be right back."  We refer to other caregivers in the same way, "Papa is going to read you books tonight!"  But why, when our children are old enough to call us by name and exclaim that no, they don't want you to take them to the potty, they want Nana to go with them, why do we still refer to ourselves in the third person?

My mother does it, she tells my son, "Mimi hates to have to go, but she'll be back tomorrow."  My husband does it, "Do you want some more of Daddy's pasta?"  My mother-in-law does it.  "Your mother got you your favorite ice cream for dessert."  And of course I catch myself doing it too, "Momma is getting your socks, can you find your shoes?"

My mother and I have talked about this strange phenomenon and she and I catch ourselves talking to the children in the third person.  My husband and I know it happens and we don't understand it either. 

Last fall, one of the teachers at the children's school talked about language development and she mentioned, "We don't naturally refer to ourselves in the third person, that would be kind of strange, right?  So don't worry, your son will be able to say his name soon enough.  He doesn't do so already because he doesn't need to refer to himself by a proper noun."  And sure enough, she was right.  Our concerns that my son wasn't saying his name were unfounded.  He'll say his name all day now.

But that teacher's comment stuck with me.  She said it would be strange to hear people going around referring to themselves in the third person all the time.  So why do we do it to our children long after they clearly know who we are?

The Big Boy Update:  Bad blue car!  Have you ever done something clumsy or weren't paying attention and stubbed your toe or missed sitting down on the chair seat?  Did you take it out on the innocent object by kicking it or exclaiming, "stupid chair"?  Yesterday, my son fell off  his blue car and hit his head on the wall.  I've never seen him get angry at anything other than the completely unfair adults that make him do totally unreasonable things like take naps or go to the potty.  But he got mad at that car.  He shoved it and glared at it and then stormed off.  I have no idea where he got that behavior from.  Nope, none at all. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Wet dog smell.  I thought it was a fluke but it's happened more than once now.  When my daughter's hair is wet, it smells like wet dog.  You know that smell, right?  A wet dog comes into the house or gets out of the bath and, phew.   It's a fairly specific smell.  My daughter's hair is very blonde, could it be that?  It's not a strong smell on her, especially as she doesn't have that much hair yet, but it's there.  I checked her brother's hair and his just smells like wet people hair.  Strange.  If you have a clue why, let me know.

Someone Once Said:  Never take anyone’s word about weather a gun is loaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment