Wednesday, April 17, 2013

About Those Water Diapers...

When my son was very young, a friend mentioned she had some extra water diapers we could have because her grandchildren had grown out of them.  I had no idea what water diapers were.  As it turns out, they are an expected and useful item for any pool or water environment in which you would like to keep any potential baby mess out of the water.  But I was, and still am, skeptical.

There are fines for having your child in a public pool without a water diaper on if your child were to make a mess while in the pool.  But what does that mean?  To the uninitiated, the "water diaper" sounds like an iron-clad baby bottom coverage device that keeps any and all baby action inside the diaper.  To the parent who has used them only a single time, you know that the water diaper job is to keep solids in place while the liquids co-mingle with everything else, just like might happen with an older child who pees in the pool.

Do these water diapers do their job?  I don't really know.  Usually, when a child is in the pool playing, they don't have as much of a need to go.  I haven't had much experience with dirty water diapers until the last two days.  But since yesterday, I've had plenty of experience.

First, my son was naked three days ago and went in the pool.  Lovely.  I told him he wasn't suppose to go in the pool (this pool being one of those little blue things you fill up on your deck.)  So, the following day, naked again, he got out of the pool and this time went directly on the deck.  Super lovely.  Today he was in a water diaper and there were no incidents from him.

My daughter, on the other hand, has had on water diapers both days.  She has managed to make a mess in those water diapers both days as well and that mess was not, I repeat not. contained within the water diaper.  The first time it looked like there were some strange fall-like debris floating around in the pool and I didn't make the connection immediately.  Then, the pool water began looking cloudy.  Oh dear.  Oh yuck.  Quick, everyone out of the pool, we have to dump it and refill it. (My son loves that part.)

It happened again today.  I am renaming my daughter, "Little Miss Messy Pants."  But back to the water diapers and their dubious protective capabilities.  My theory is that the medium water diaper is just a little too big for my daughter.  Those tight elastic leg bindings aren't tight enough.  Also, I'm getting tired of refilling the pool.  So tomorrow I'm getting small water diapers for her small butt.

The Big Boy Update:  His skin is having one of those times where it's awful.  He's itchy all over and he looks a fright.  I sincerely hope it's related to the egg white allergy and he'll grow out of it as his immune system matures.  I have heard my aunt had a similar situation when she was a child and she grew out of it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Fuzzy Buzzy.  She has a winter jacket she loves.  It's fuzzy, pink and white and it's named "Fuzzy Buzzy."  She pulled it out today in the close to eighty-degree weather and wanted to wear it this afternoon.  She is going to be sad when she outgrows it.

Fitness Update:   Bonus eight mile run with Uncle Jonathan yesterday afternoon.  I'm tired today.   

Someone Once Said:  A man does not insist on physical beauty in a woman who builds up his morale. After a while he realizes that she is beautiful—he just hadn’t noticed it at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment