Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Dead Food Realization

I went to Florida many years ago on a trip to visit my now husband.  That weekend, he took me to his favorite pizza parlor.  He's from New York, so his tastes in pizza are fairly specific.  Or to put it the way he describes his tastes in pizza, he's picky.

We were sitting in that restaurant that day waiting for our pizza to arrive.  There were framed posters on the wall depicting various Italian dishes, making me want that pizza to arrive sooner than later as I was fairly hungry.  That's when I had a strange thought come over me.  I realized that delicious plate of food pictured in the frame was long gone.  It was in a landfill or processed and down the sewage system.  In short, it was "dead."  And that thought was strange.

Because here's how it works: any picture you see of a particular food item is of food that is no longer edible.  It's been eaten or thrown away, but if there's one thing it's not, it's not sitting in a corner somewhere just waiting for the right person to come and enjoy it for dinner.  So this mental sensation I was feeling about the demise of the food in the picture should have been a given, not something so unexpected.

For years I went to Breuggers' Bagels and I remember always looking at the posters on the walls of the pristine vegetables and perfect bagels and the "dead food" thought never struck me then. All I thought about was how perfect those vegetables were and how I might want to get a more healthy bagel the next time as a result.

This past week we were back in Florida and we went back to the same restaurant.  They had moved to a new location and they had updated their decorations and this time, there were no pictures of food on the wall.  But I remembered that day sitting in the booth looking at the plate of pasta in that picture while we waited for our pizza and I remembered the strange thoughts I had about the impermanence of life.

The Big Boy Update:  "I see the cream!"  This means he's spotted a crane.  Some sort of tall thing that goes up in the air, usually from a vehicle.  It might be a utility vehicle working on power lines or a concrete pouring crane or generally anything tall coming out of a truck.  Yesterday afternoon he asked for  "two peanups."  We we having peanuts for snack on the deck playing with some outdoor toys.  He would sweep by and ask for another "peanup."  Sometimes he would let me know he needed "two peanups" between rounds of driving cars into the water area of the water table.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Ho kaay"  This is what it sounds like when she says "okay."  She can also say please and thank you if you ask her.  Sometimes, if she wants something quite badly and you're not giving it to her, she'll even offer please on her own.

Fitness Update:  Back to the gym.  New exercises that were both fun and brutal at the same time.  With the good weather, we're doing some things outside too which has been nice, although it's still dark that early right now.

Someone Once Said:   Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy—in fact they’re almost incompatible; one emotion hardly leaves room for the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment