Friday, April 12, 2013

The Silly Saga

Some mornings when I've had a good workout or have been doing a good job at maintaining my weight or when I'm just really hungry, I like to go to Whole Foods and get breakfast after dropping my children off at school.

Their school is across the street from the Whole Foods and I consider going there and having a nice breakfast buffet far more days than I actually go.  Yesterday was one of those days when I decided what I really needed (needed, yeah, right) was some eggs, bacon and some creme brulee french toast.

And syrup.  Don't forget the butter and you might as well have a latte once you've gotten all that other deliciousness to consume.  So I get my meal, pay for it and head over to the seating area.  There are four person tables, two-person booths and a row of bar seating.  I sometimes sit at the bar, but I like the little two-person booths so I sat in one of those.  And then I wished I hadn't.

Because on the other side of the partition that is only useful as a partition when keeping a spilled beverage from overflowing onto the other people's table, there were two ladies talking.  And they were talking about some situation with some guy and there was this other guy and how it made sense but it still was frustrating and yes, he's good to work with but you should be aware that he can have these moments.  That kind of thing.

It sounded like a some sort of saga, and a silly one at best.  Then I scolded myself because I realized most of the situations in my life would be boring "silly sagas" to anyone else.  It's just that they're my silly sagas so they're somewhat less-silly to me.

The thing was, I didn't want to hear about Mister Manager and Captain Co-worker.  I wanted to eat my delicious breakfast.  But I didn't want to be rude and give a message that I was changing places because of them.  When they got into one of those, "Yeah!  I hate it when that happens too," mutual commiseration things about a minute later I moved my plate and coffee, hoping they either wouldn't notice or would think I didn't find the salt and pepper to my liking at the current location.

You can close your eyes, but you can't turn off your ears.

The Big Boy Update:  "Where's Nana?"  "Nana is in Florida."  "Where's Papa?"  "Papa is in Florida with Nana."  "I'm going to Florida."  Nana and Papa, has he arrived yet?  Let me know because he doesn't have enough money for ChickenFries when he gets there.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Diaper rash.  She doesn't get diaper rashes that often, but yesterday we missed that she had dirtied her diaper twice and had been stewing in it for a while.  Also, it must have been acidic because wow, rash.  Today she doesn't even want to let you know she's gone in her pants because she doesn't want you near her with cold wipes. 

Fitness Update:  I'm sore today.  I ran six miles in the morning yesterday and then Uncle Jonathan and I ran the "full loop" in the park for another eight yesterday afternoon.  Fourteen miles and I was sore this morning at the gym.  When I got warmed up and I was able to do well enough though.  Or at least well enough that I didn't get teased too much by my trainer or exercise partner.

Someone Once Said:  Some problems are best let be, not chewed over with words. This modern compulsion to "talk it out" is a mistake at least as often as it is a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment