Friday, April 19, 2013

Exponentially

It seems today the word "awesome" is way overused.  It's used for nearly everything, for example you need to find a word that means something beyond great or to express how grateful you might be.  Hey, let's just use the word awesome, because it's so awesome.   It wasn't always that way.  I remember when I was a freshman in college.  It seemed excessive use of "awesome" was just up and coming, new and cool.  Now, it's so not awesome any more.

But what about the word, "exponentially"?  If taking care of your child is a lot of work (because babies just are a lot of work) and then you have a second child, you might hear someone tell you that it will be exponentially harder to take care of two babies.  No.  It won't.  It will be linearly harder.  It will become twice as difficult as it would changing diapers on two babies as it would be changing babies on one diaper.  Hm, strike that, reverse it.  Strange typo day.  But back to the point...if it were exponentially harder, it would be harder a whole order of magnitude more than it would be for one baby.  That would mean it would be ten times harder to take care of two babies than it would be one baby.

And I can't subscribe to that.  It's part of our language of late it seems to over emphasize as though no one will really believe how delightful you found your children's school play unless you describe it as awesome.  Or that you had a co-worker leave the company and their duties are being divided between the remaining staff and now you have exponentially more work to do.

The Big Boy Update:  Sound sleeper.  He naps or he doesn't nap in the afternoon, but when he does nap, he naps well.  He will tell you, "I'm sleepy" or, "I'm tired" of late and he knows what he's talking about because at those times, he will go straight to sleep.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Where's Reese?"  My son and daughter were looking at my lock screen on my phone yesterday that has a picture of my son at Disney with Mickey mouse and daddy.  My son immediately pointed out Mickey Mouse, then he pointed out daddy and then he said that that he saw he was in the picture too.  My daughter wanted to see the picture next.  She knew who Mickey was, so I asked her if she saw daddy and then if she saw her brother.  She kept looking at the picture and then she said, "Where's Reese?"

Someone Once Said:  Paranoia is a disorder contracted only by those of fundamentally bad character

1 comment:

  1. After reading this post I caught myself needlessly using the word "awesome" twice today.

    ReplyDelete