Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Saint Michaels Origami Book

I've been doing origami since I was eight-years-old.  How I got started doing origami is another story altogether, but ever since I started doing origami I've enjoyed buying origami books.  Over time I've collected a lot of books (perhaps too many books some might say.)  And just like a good book can bring back memories of a time in your life when you read it, my origami books can bring back a situation, a feeling, a location, when I bring them out and fold their models.

A long, long time ago, when I was fairly new to origami and there was no internet, no online shopping and the only origami books you'd find were the few they had in the big bookstore, I found a book that I cherished.  It was hard to find new books back then and I spent hours scouring used book stores or anywhere that might have anything origami related. 

This particular time, we were in St. Michaels, Maryland over Christmas (or was it Thanksgiving) and we went into the little town to do some holiday shopping.  I suppose it wasn't Christmas if we were still shopping, it must have been Thanksgiving.  I went in a small bookstore on the off chance they'd have anything new or old or unknown in the realm of origami books and paper.

This one store had a brand new, shiny, hardcover origami book I'd never seen before.  I was sold.  I wasn't letting that book out of my hands until it was mine.  After I bought it, I sat in the car and fairly drooled over the beautiful photography and enticing designs.  I couldn't wait to get back to the house so I could get to my paper and start making the models.

It was, and still is, a beautiful book.  Every time I see it on the shelf a little memory of cold weather, warm fires and happy family over the holidays on the Chesapeake Bay comes back to me.  Later on, not only did I meet the author of this book at an origami convention, I got to know her and she even published one of my own origami creations in one of her books. 

The Big Boy Update:  Lights On. Today he went three rooms over, got a stool and dragged it across the house to get to a set of light switches.  He climbed up, said, "lights on" and proceeded to turn each of the four switches on and off, stopping to look around and determine which lights were associated with which switch.  Last night in the tub with lots of floating toys around him, daddy asked him, "do you see the duck?"  He's starting to speak in sentences so he responded, "I see the duck."  Then, he must have realized he needed to actually find the duck so he started to look around for it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Back in the box.  She loves being in a box.  Especially if there are things in the box.  She was in the most uncomfortable looking box of Legos earlier.  She was happy, even if her bottom must have been all kinds of discomfort.

Someone Once Said:  Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment