Friday, November 30, 2012

The Height of Socks

Fashions come and go.  One of the best measurements historically was the height of skirts.  Up and down they'd go through the decades, usually matching other social changes of the times.  I've never cared much about skirts, although I seem to be wearing more this year than ever before.  What has seemed to have an affect on me though has been the height of socks.

Looking back when I was in elementary school I have no idea what I wore sock-wise.  I'm guessing I wore socks because I have distinct memories of sneakers.  I also remember my mother putting on my socks and my toes wiggling around to get them on just right before the addition of the shoe, because a bunched up sock is never comfortable when the shoe goes on top.  I hadn't remembered this until today when I saw my son wiggling his toes to get his socks straightened out.  It's always amazing to me when a very old memory can push itself to the forefront of your mind after laying dormant for so long.

The first time I really remember a personal preference with socks was sixth grade.  I have a birthmark on my right knee and I always disliked it.  As an adult, I don't even remember it's there for the most part, but this was sixth grade and my focus was different back then.  I asked for the longest, highest knee-socks my mom could find so I could try and cover up that blasted birthmark.  Those socks barely covered it, and only did so if I continually pulled them back up as I ran around the playground.  In an effort to not call attention to a defect by bringing excessive focus to the area, I'm sure I succeeded masterfully.

In junior high school and high school sock fashions were mid-calf.  But not pulled up straight.  You had to bunch them down.  The bunching length and amount was key.  Sometimes I had to work at it to get them just right.  During this time one thing that was definitely out of fashion was ankle socks.  Talk about uncouth and uncool.  Who would wear those wardrobe atrocities, I thought?

My boyfriend, that's who.  And he loved them.  I was unable to convince him otherwise because he played golf and he didn't want a mid-calf suntan line.  He won, continued to wear his ankle socks and I averted my eyes.

About those ankle socks though.  Today I'm a huge fan.  Love them.  I wouldn't dare go running without them.  The thought of wearing shorts and sneakers with socks partially up my legs makes what little fashion sense I have cringe.

Fashions and fads change though.  It appears this winter it is quite fashionable to wear boots and have socks that not only come up to your knees, but go over them and completely cover them.  And the elastic component in these very high socks makes them stay up easily without being binding.  They're great for keeping your knees warm when you're wearing a skirt in cold weather too.   Talk about fun to wear.

As I was putting on my knee socks the other day, I thought back to the sixth-grade version of me and wished I could have mailed some knee socks back in time to help with my birthmark hiding endeavors.


The Big Boy Update:  Blaming his sister.  He can explain that his sister "do it" when he realizes he's about to get in trouble.  He will also ask her to "do it" if he wants her to try out whatever fun or challenging thing he's currently in the middle of.  And then yesterday on the way to school there was a persistent sunbeam in his face.  It happens often and he dislikes it.  It's the time of morning when the sun is just blaring in your eyes.  If he can move his head out of the way, he won't be too bothered.  Yesterday he couldn't get away from the sun.  I realized he was upset when he started complaining loudly in the back seat, "no no no!" while covering up his face.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Speaking of "no," she's learned how to say no.  She is very clear in the "do not want" and "no" category when it comes to pushing something away.  There is no question what she's thinking.  But she hasn't said "no" yet.  This afternoon after her bath on the changing table, she suddenly figured out how to say "no."  It's a very long word for her and it goes up at the end, but it was clear what she was saying as she kept repeating herself.

Someone Once Said:   Maybe Jesus was right when he said the meek shall inherit the earth – but they inherit very small plots, about six feet by three.

No comments:

Post a Comment