Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Running Cold

When we headed out to run in the half marathon the other morning the temperature was in the low 40's.  The three of us rode there with out seat warmers on and upon our arrival we donned gloves, arm warmers, hats, long pants and jackets.  We knew we'd get warm, but running only heats you up so much.

Someone told me to dress for twenty degrees warmer than you're running in and when you run, your body will be comfortable.  That was good advice.  Shortly after we started running I didn't need my ear warmer head band.  My arms became quite warm shortly later so I took off my arm warmers and stuffed them into the only spot I could think of, the back of my pants.  The bump in my rump must have been attractive to those running behind me.

The gloves I took off later, but overall, I was comfortable and warm the whole way.  It was cold, I knew that.  But I wasn't cold.  The three of us marveled at the runners we saw in shorts and tank tops.  We enjoyed looking at the people in fun clothes, such as the man all in black with the red tutu and the woman dressed as Wonder Woman.   There were people in wigs and people with great sayings on the backs of their shirts.   Uncle Jonathan commented that my neighbor and I seemed to be a little too focused on the fashion aspect of the run and that maybe we could look into jobs as commentators.

When we crossed the finish line we saw people wearing those silver warming reflective sheets.   They look so cool.  I've never had one.  I didn't really need one because I was warm from the run, but my neighbor said her girls would probably love them. I went and asked if I could have three, but I didn't use them.  I just held them on my arm for later for the children.

We visited the food tent and I shoved a lot of calories into my mouth as fast as I could.  There was a beer tent, but we weren't into beer at 9:30 in the morning so we decided to head home.  And then it hit us.  The cold.

IT WAS COLD.  IT WAS SUDDENLY SO TERRIBLY COLD.  What were we doing outside in such arctic conditions. I wondered.  When did the icy wind start and what happened to that nice, cool weather we had just minutes ago.  You know, right?  The weather hadn't changed, our heart rates had slowed down and all the hot sweat was now cold and making us colder.

We walked as quickly as we could to the car.  I thought my fingers were going to fail me and not work enough to drive.  Then, back into the car finally and the warmth of the seat warmers on again and we remembered what it was like to be warm again.

The Big Boy Update:  Dinner and the splash.  Potty training is having some good results.  He hates going to the potty, or rather I mean being interrupted from anything, at all, to take a potty break.  But once there, he never wants to leave.  He spends a lot of time around the house in training pants.  He's going less-frequently, but more volume once he does go.  But there are "incidents."  For example, last night at dinner he was sitting in his high chair, happily eating some hot dog slices when I say to myself, "What is that noise?  It sounds like something is splashing."  Something was.  There was lots of splashing going on underneath his high chair.  It didn't slow down his eating one bit.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  A better second day at school.  Her teacher and I decided to bring her in earlier today to see if tiredness was an issue.  She was at school for an hour and did well, didn't do much crying but did need a little bit of cereal encouragement at one point.  Tomorrow we're going to try for another hour and see how it goes.  She still naps in the mornings and the mental work of being at school is draining to her growing body and mind.  It may take a bit longer to get her to full half days than it did her brother, who was much older when he started.

Fitness Update:  5:30am.  We found a time to run.  We call it, "even earlier."  We'd gotten so accustomed to running in the dark that we decided who needs light.  Five miles and we both got back in time to get a shower and the kids to school on time.  This morning I was picking up my daughter after her first hour at school when I looked at the clock and it was only 9:30am.  I thought, "It seems much later than that," and then I realized I'd been up for 4.5 hours already.  Strange time shift feeling followed.

Someone Once Said:   Easier to get people to hate than to get them to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment