Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Fanny Pack

Remember back in time when "fanny packs" became popular?  They were a small pouch on a belt in which you could store things.  It was a sort of purse or wallet alternative.  They came in different sizes and there were all sorts of configurations of pockets.  Some were quite the bulge around your waist.  And I hated them.

Did you see one cool person wearing one?  Not in my opinion.  Did you find them on the models in fashion magazines?  Not that I saw.  Were politicians, movie stars and rock musicians wearing them?  Nope, non and nyet.  They epitomized uncool to me.

But were they useful?  Undoubtedly.  They were compartmentalized so you could find your things quickly, they were in the center of your body mass and were strapped to you so you had your arms free to do other things.   It's just that they looked so silly.  Also, they had the word "fanny" in their name and I just didn't like that word.

I've been years and years since I thought about fanny packs.  I've been doing a lot of running lately and I got an arm band to hold my phone, which I bring along to track my workout, listen to audio and be available if anyone needed to contact me.  I liked the arm band okay, but it had some disadvantages.  I replaced the armband with a belt pouch that fits the phone nicely.  I've been running with it for some time and I don't even notice it's there when I'm out running.  It does it's job perfectly.

For Disney, I thought the belt pouch might come in handy because I could put things into it including my phone and I wouldn't have to carry a purse.  And then as I was getting packed up to go to the park this morning by loading up my running pouch it hit me, "I have a fanny pack.  I've HAD a fanny pack!  I love my fanny pack.  I am so uncool...  Ah, who cares."

The Big Boy Update:  The Monkey Backpack.  We got him a little monkey backpack to wear around,  It straps on to his chest and has little monkey feet at the front.  But the best thing about the monkey backpack is the tail.  It's long.  It's so long that it takes mom or dad or an adult to hold it to make sure it doesn't drag on the ground,  Also, it keeps the child from running away.  Leash, you ask?  Shhh, don't tell.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She will climb stairs if you ask her to.  Just sit her at the bottom of them and stand behind her and up she goes.  She will also walk with you if you hold her hand and move forward.  She needs your support, as you hold her arm above her, but she can make good progress and she's walking better in this assisted-fashion than I would have expected her too at this stage.

Fitness Update:  We went to two parks today on our Disney vacation.  The first, Epcot, I walked about three-and-a-hal miles.  That's not too bad when you're pushing a stroller a lot of it.  In the afternoon, we wen to Hollywood Studios and walked another two-and-a-half miles.  Slow miles.  But fun miles.

Someone Once Said:  You can’t peddle nonsense to be by claiming to be fresh out of sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment