Saturday, October 6, 2012

My Friends, Your Friends

From my experience, the most common way to meet a new friend is through existing friends.  Commonly someone will ask me, "so how did you meet so-and-so?" and I find myself telling a story of how I met that person through another person I already knew.

Sometimes those friends you meet may become more of a friend or a closer friend than they are with the people they met you through.  Sometimes they may even fall out of touch with those original friends.  I've found myself surprised as I tell that story of how I met the friend because I'd completely forgotten how initially we were introduced.  I've found myself even feeling sort of proprietary about the friend because they've become close to me.

That's how friendships evolve.  They're not static.  Over time you may find you have more interests in common or maybe through a job change or a slew of baby births (as in my case) you find you don't have as much time to spend together or your interests aren't the same any more.   But sometimes, friendships can weather through the drastic changes and become even stronger.

I feel proud of my friends and I'm always happy when I get a chance to introduce my friends to someone new.  I've had family visiting the last few weeks and we've had multiple Friday Night Movie Night's so we had plenty of introductions to make.

Have you ever felt though that there was this one friend you really wanted your other friends or family member to like, but you didn't know if the dynamic would work?  Uncle Jonathan (remember, he's a "finger quotation uncle" and not a real uncle) is our best friend and he's around a lot and my children love him.  Aunts Adrienne and Brenda have come from the west coast and I was hoping they would all like each other.

I didn't think they would dislike each other, but not everyone hits it off the same.  I certainly didn't think they would dislike each other, as they're all three kind and friendly folk, but I didn't know how the whole social dynamics would go.

So now, eleven days later, I have that almost jealous feeling you get sometimes when you want to say, "but hey, he was my friend first!" because they all three got along great.  How strange is it that you feel a little bit of jealousy because your friends that you wanted to get along are getting along better than you expected?

It's just a strange reaction we have, because it's not like there are a limited number of friends we can have.  There's always room for one more friend and it's a happy thing when people become friends.  And I am so happy with how things worked out.

The Big Boy Update:  Energy.  Where does it come from?  I don't know.  I was told today that he got it from me, because I was rumored to by hyper as a child.  It's true, I was.  I don't know where he gets it from but I remember the Dennis The Menace show and cartoon from when I was a child and think of my son often.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Third tooth.  It's the "Aunt Adrienne Tooth" because Aunt Adrienne called it.  She said it was working its way out and so it was.  Still no teeth on the top yet and I can't feel them about to erupt with my finger, but the third one on the bottom has made an appearance.

Fitness Update:  Four Mile Race.  Congratulations to my cousin, Rebecca, and Uncle Jonathan and my husband, who all three ran their first races today.  Thanks to my cousin for selecting the race and scouting out the route and getting our bibs.  She didn't go for a 5K for her first race, oh no, she went straight for the four miles and did very well.  I wonder what race she'll want to do next, 8K perhaps?  From where I was running, Uncle Jonathan and I were neck and neck until the very end, goal in sight, and he does this burst of speed that has him beating me by thirty-two seconds.  So yeah, wow.   My husband looked like a different person crossing the finish line, and I'm not sure how he was still standing because he's only run TWICE before this race.  I question if he'll be walking tomorrow.  I think he's questioning it too.  If I sound impressed and jealous at the same time that he could run a four mile race without any training, you would be correct.  But I am still very proud of him.  Congratulations to everyone today and thank you to my sisters and cousin Olivia and Uncle Dale for taking care of our two children so kindly while we ran.

Someone Once Said:  I am learning that love does not subtract—it multiplies!

No comments:

Post a Comment