Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Beginnings of Writing (or My First Ever Blog Post)

My son can grab a crayon or pen or pencil and make marks on a piece of paper.  They're not interesting marks, they're mostly big swipes back and forth, but he knows he's leaving behind something on the paper when he does this.

I'm not sure if he realizes some of the markings in his books are writing and say or mean something yet.  I've been watching, but he mostly looks at the pictures in the books and doesn't seem to notice the little scribbles that are words.

When I first had an understanding of words and writing I remember a specific event one day in our family den.  I was sitting on the floor at the very seventies coffee table my parents had found and made.  It was a cabling spool made of wood that was quite large.  My father or mother had gotten some orange Naugahyde to cover the top.  They'd stretched it all around the large circle top and stapled it underneath.   Talk about sturdy coffee tables.   Talk about seventies-style in action. 

So I was on the floor at this coffee table and I had a crayon and a book.  It was a sunny day, I remember the light streaming in through the blinds and I decided I was going to write a story.  I didn't have any paper, but not to worry, I had this handy book that incidentally had a clean white page just inside the front and back covers.

I was excited, because I was going to actually write something.  I started writing.  I wrote lovely squiggles from left to right, just like the books did and I wrote all over the front and back covers.  I was very pleased with myself.

I sat there and looked and looked at my first written work and I wondered what I had written.  I hoped it was good.  I hoped it was exciting.  I kept thinking, "I sure wish I could read."

The Big Boy Update:  Popcorn.  He loves corn.  We tried popcorn on him at lunch today.  I got him out of his high chair and brought him over to the microwave to watch the corn pop.  He smiled.  He wanted to touch it when it was just poured out but was too hot.  He got back in his chair and ate some and said, "popcorn" and liked it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Whine central, please come get your baby.  Who's whiny baby is this I have today?  It's noon and she's on her second nap.  She looks fine, seems to feel fine, isn't messy but is definitely cranky.  She wasn't the happiest baby yesterday, either.  It might be a three-nap day.

Fitness Update:  We tried to run this morning.  It was hard to tell it was morning because the skies were so overcast it almost seemed like night.  As we started to run the rain started in on us.  It was also fifty-two degrees.  We had on long-sleeve shirts, but cold, rained on shirts aren't much for warmth.  We made it to our watering hole and turned around because the thunder and lightning and downpour at that point were just too much for comfort (mentally from the lightning proximity and physically from the cold, heavy rain.)  We got in just under three miles and decided to try again tomorrow.

Someone Once Said:   I confirm from experience the theory that childhood memories are permanent, even though one may “forget” them until re-stimulated.


No comments:

Post a Comment