Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweets

I love sweets.  It seems the more I eat, the more I want to eat.  My neighbor and I were discussing on a run the other day how we seemed to be drawn to candy and sweet-type items on days we don't exercise.  I find that when I exercise, especially if I run a longer run on a particular day, I'm not as interested in sweets.

It's strange that on a day when I have burned many calories exercising, that I am far less likely to eat lots of sugary things.  It's caused me to be motivated to run some days just to curb my hunger level.

I find myself thinking that if I could just get all the sweet items out of the house, then I'd be better off and I wouldn't crave sweets because I wouldn't be thinking about item X that's sitting in the pantry or refrigerator or out on the counter.  But there's never going to be a time when the house is sweet free.   Even healthy crasins and dried cherries are sweet and we have those around all the time as a healthy snack for the children.

I've stopped drinking alcohol in the past and after a short while I lose the taste or desire to drink anything.  One time, a long time ago, I did the same with sugar.  I decided for an entire month I wasn't going to eat any candy or sweets.  I did eat sweets once during that month, I remember it well, I was standing at a bowl of Jelly Bellies, selecting some nice flavored ones out of the pile when I realized I didn't even know I was eating candy.

It's like the long-time smokers who say they can have a cigarette lit and in their mouth without even realizing what they're doing because it's such a habit.

But that month was an interesting experiment.  At the end of it, I didn't have a desire to eat sweets.  I could look at a plate of cookies or donuts or cupcakes and it looked like food, but not really food I wanted.

I've gained a few pounds, and I think it was appropriate because I needed to let my body build up some muscle from the exercising.  Now, I am considering going a month without sweets and seeing how it goes and how much I crave sugar-laden items at the end of it.

The Big Boy Update:  School drop-off is still a tearful experience for him.  He was fine the first week of school but now he doesn't like to say goodbye.  It doesn't make sense to me though as he's fine right after I drive off.   But he still protests and looks like a very unhappy boy as he heads off to school.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Fast healer.  Her head bump/scratch from the door slamming is looking much better now.  Babies heal so quickly.  Even the scab is coming off today.  She's seems to be thinking about walking a little more lately too.  She will stand more often, but she isn't quite ready to take those multiple steps to get across a gap yet.  I was looking for a high-value toy to get her to try and walk earlier and I realized the pacifier might be a good choice.  I think had she been less tired it would have worked.  She certainly wanted the pacifier.  I'll have to try again later.

Someone Once Said:    Congratulations! A desire not to butt into other people’s business is eighty percent of all human wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment