Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All That Leisure Time

I really do like my life.  There are people all around me who are frustrated with where they are in life.  Maybe they wanted to be more successful than they've been able to be.  Maybe the want to find the right person, fall in love and live happily ever after.  Maybe they're unhappy or depressed or, maybe they are happy, but they could imagine being happier, and that makes them a little bit sad. 

I'm not unhappy.  I have great, supportive family members.  I have friends long-standing friends and new friends and friends from different periods in my life, and they're all great.  I've got good health (shh, I'm trying to not think about my spine) and my children seem to be healthy and on track for normal mental and physical development. 

I'm also busy.  I've written about being busy of late a lot.  Sometimes the business gets the best of me because I don't have a chance to sit down and catch up on a television show.  But I'm also busy because I want to be.  I love my children and all the new, interesting, exciting and challenging things it's brought to my life.  I wouldn't change anything, because I'm glad to be here. 

But about that leisure time I don't have.  I don't really expect to have it at this point.  I have completely forgotten what it's like to have lots of leisure time.  But I saw plenty of leisure time happening while we were on our Disney vacation.  I have to say, it boggled my mind. 

We have friends who don't have children.  They were on vacation and they were relaxing.  When we weren't at a park they sat around and did different leisure things.  One friend read her eReader for hours and hours.  I don't think I've had an hour uninterrupted during the day, that I can remember, in a long time. 

We have other friends who love to be at their computers or smart devices while watching hour upon hour of television shows.  These folks know all the shows.  They watch them all.  If I need to get a suggestion on what's a good show to watch, these are the people I'd ask. 

On the last day of the trip I was packing, cleaning the kitchen, taking care of my daughter, taking care of email, writing a blog post, doing lots and lots of laundry.  I was busy.  But at one point I had nothing to do.  "Hey," I thought, "I could do something relaxing like read a book now."  But it wasn't in me I suppose after all the busy busy busy I seem to be in the midst of all the time.   What did I do, you ask?  I brought my friend's laundry loads up to their room and laid out three loads of her families laundry so it wouldn't be wrinkled.

Way to go with the relaxing.

The Big Boy Update: "Water.  Outside.  Open.  Make on." We didn't know he knew what the water diaper bag looked like, but he did.  While in Florida he found the bag of water diapers, said to daddy, "water water water."  Daddy followed him downstairs, to the sliding glass door that led to the pool outside and he said, "Outside.  Open.  Open. Outside."  Then, because clearly daddy wasn't getting the message that he wanted to go swimming, he held up the water diaper bag and said, "make on."  Daddy was trying not to laugh, because this was some impressive communication from him.  So he pulled out a water diaper and put one on.  Over his shorts.  With both legs in one hole.  That's when I came around the corner and started to laugh.  Think he likes swimming much?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Holding the bottle.  She's about to be done with baby bottles as she's getting close to turning one.  Has she ever held it for herself?  No thank you, momma, you're doing just fine.  She hasn't ever shown a real desire to hold the bottle.  Or the sippy cup.  She is old enough now to tell us when she's thirsty and to ask for more, "jooce" but she's not yet motivated enough to make an effort with the cup. 

Fitness Update:  I finally made it to a run this morning.  5.5 miles and I sort of forgot I was running for most of it as I was catching up with my neighbor and all that's been happening in her life.  I got great tips for children's birthday parties, which I needed, because we have two impending birthdays and very little idea how kids parties usually go.  She has four children, she was in the know.

No comments:

Post a Comment