Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Tri-Puter

I was working in the craft room this afternoon when I got a text from Blake next door, asking if we needed him today.   I went into the Bonus Room, which is right across from where I'm working, and asked my children if they'd like to have Blake come over.   My son immediately said, "Yes!  Blake would be an excellent servant."   My daughter also responded in the affirmative so I sent a text to Blake and said come on over.

Both children were excited when he came in.   I know this because I heard through the closed door from the craft room my daughter greeting Blake with her customary, "Blakeie!"   My son very matter of factly said to him, "you're going to be our humble servant."

Thus started something I was not privy to, other than hearing the excited cries and runnings about from the children while I worked.   After a while, my son stuck his head in and said they wanted me to come see their fort, only, wait, did I know where dad was?   They went to find their father in the basement and told me it would be another five minutes, so hold tight.

When my husband came upstairs we were ushered into the bonus room which had been turned into the largest fort I've seen them make.   My son excitedly told me it was a spaceship and its name was the Tri-puter.  My daughter was inside, yelling in an effort to get some attention, telling me, "this is my room!"   My son was slapping his arms on a bed pillow, exclaiming, "this is my keyboard!"  

They had a secret compartment, accessible by pulling out a stuffed chair and then stuffing my daughter inside.   It wasn't a big secret compartment, but she fit.   My son was pointing out how they had a robot to help them manage all things on the ship and they each had their own living quarters.

As a parent, I was so pleased with their creativity.   As a person who likes order, I cringed internally at the cleanup job that was to come later.  I didn't say anything, I just listened and was impressed by all the features of their Tri-puter.

I left to go back to work in the craft room.   I don't know if they're playing in what they created or are adding to it, but they're both very happy.   Blake, their humble servant, did a good job helping them out.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been screaming for two hours.   He is so excited about the fort he's been completely unable to control his volume.   And when I say screaming, I mean it.   It's loud in here, even though the closed door.   It's an excited scream though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's mentally mapped out the fort while they were building it.   She could bound around inside it without running into anything.   Maybe she's got some residual vision that helps her with object avoidance in the dim light of the fort.  When I left, she had found her way to the cockpit and was piloting the ship using the special navigational pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment