Monday, July 13, 2020

The Pirate

Sydney, my children's cousin, and one of my daughter's favorite people in the world wrote a letter to my daughter.   The two of them are pen pals and write back and forth to each other from time to time.   My daughter decided for her "summer work" today to write Sydney back and then to make her a collage to send along with her letter.   

When my son heard there were collages being made (I was going to make one too) he ran up the stairs and asked if he could make a collage too.  He had some maths work the finish but I told him as soon as he was finished, he could meet us in the craft room and join us, making whatever he wanted. 

I had high hopes my daughter would want to use some of the new tactile, textured papers I'd recently gotten after seeing all the things I could use them for while we had our at-home learning during COVID-19.   She had very little interest in the new things I had gotten, instead of wanting to glue stick down things on her paper that were tactile in a very three-dimensional way.   The glue stick I'd gotten out for her just wasn't going to do the job so I got out the very tacky glue and tried my best to get as much affixed to the paper as we could.   She had to abandon some of her more creative suggestions which didn't upset her overly much because that meant she got to open more drawers to find other options. 

My daughter had a good time opening drawers and finding what was available for her project.  The new, more organized craft room worked out well.   My daughter hasn't explored all the drawers yet, which has her excited about coming back and doing another project soon.  

My son, finished with his math work, came upstairs with a different idea: he didn't want to do a collage.  Instead, he wanted to get a blank page and use the cornstarch pellets to make a "scene" he said.    My son has always made interesting works of art with these little squishy rolls and this time he didn't disappoint.  

When I've worked in this medium before I simply lay them down on the paper and make a flat, albeit raised, picture of something.   My son sees the potential to build upwards and makes things in three-dimensions.  Here's what he made this morning:


My son told me this was the shore of an island.   It was a tropical island because of the palm tree with coconuts.   He put a pirate on the beach with his treasure chest (you can't see the multiple colors of gems inside the open lidded crate.). The pirate was bald and if I looked, he told me, I could see he has a patch over one eye.  His pirate also has a hook on his left hand and a peg leg below it.  

My son has a great imagination and even better execution of ideas he has.  I love to see what he comes up with when he does artwork.  His art teacher at school has said the same thing.

The Big Boy Update:  I have a large bin of the cornstarch pellets that my son was using to make his creation today.   He must have thought it looked fun because I looked over to see him putting his head into the pile, as deep as he could get, spilling pellets all over the place.   He came out, smiling.   It was so much fun he did it a few more times. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had a part replaced in our attic today for our solar.   My daughter was being her most outgoing and social self and stayed up in the attic with him the whole time, talking to him while he worked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment