Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Missing School

There has been much discussion, conversation, moaning, complaining and wistful wishing done by the parents of children who have been out of school.   Parents want their children back in school for many reasons with educational value not necessarily being the top reason in many cases.   For some, it's financial, needing children back in school so they can make money for the family to live.  There is the social-emotional side of things, wanting your children back in school so they can be with their peers.  But there's also been a lot plain wanting the children back in school so they're out of the house.

I fit in all three categories, plus the one where I can't do the same quality of education at home that a trained teacher can do.  Suffice it to say, for whatever reason, we as parents want our children back in school.   What's been surprising is finding out that children really want to go back to school too. 

I've heard stories from parents at both of my children's schools, saying how their child misses their friends and teacher and wants to get back to the routine of the classroom and school day.  I wouldn't have thought children would be upset to find out their summer vacation had been extended into the fall with more school at home.   Distanced learning isn't the same as school in the classroom, taking up fewer hours of the day, leaving potentially more time for leisure activities, or playing, or fun, or lounging around.  But children are tired of being at home, learning across a computer screen and at this point, would rather go to school than have less school time at home. 

Older students are hit even harder.  My niece, whom I wrote about yesterday and today turned twenty, is a swimmer, competing in international events including Olympic trials.   With college remote and athletic events canceled, it has been disappointing on multiple levels.  I can't imagine how difficult it must be, knowing you're losing time and training while COVID-19 is ongoing.

My other niece, whom I'm visiting with today, is understandably upset at the changes for the upcoming semester for her college.  One of her favorite places to go and study was the library, which is now closed.   And my nephew's girlfriend (and my son's ex-girlfriend,) Madison, found out just hours ago her fall semester will be all remote learning—for her senior year of college. 

No school, no library, campuses closed: things historically you would think children and students would be happy to hear about.   But in this case, it's been too long, too isolated, and too disconnected.   We all want schools to be back in session, parents and students alike. 

The Big Boy Update:  My nephew, Kyle, played a game of hide and seek with my son when we were at Dog/Kyle Island today.  He won in epic fashion, hiding around the underside of the boat for so long my son gave up on him and believed he'd swam home (it's a twenty-minute boat ride and not even remotely swimmable.).  My son rode back on a jet ski with his father and when he returned, Kyle walked out of the house, having gone inside just before he got back.  My son was amazed.   We did feel a little badly about it after the game had gone on for a good while when my son asked in a concerned voice, "Eric, is this something Kyle has done before?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has not wanted to listen to any audiobooks for the last week because she's listened to her favorite one's several times.   Today, after running down a list of many books similar to the other recent book series she's been enjoying, I suggested she try something different.  There was a book about a girl who could read minds but didn't understand her powers until she met a boy who could do the same thing.   I would ask her about the book only we can't get her to stop listening long enougn to tell us anything about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment