Saturday, July 4, 2020

Help Shaving

It's the Fourth of July.   Some people in my house enjoy fireworks, the dog and my daughter do not.   Our next-door-neighbor and their good friends from around the corner came over and were planning on setting off fireworks for the children.   My husband had a good number of fireworks as well so they decided to coordinate and had everyone meet outside at nine o'clock.

There were more people in the general vicinity than normal with social distancing still the norm, but we tried to keep distanced as best as possible.   It was a bit difficult with adults needing to light sparklers and children eager to have a lit sparkler, but for the most part everyone tried to stay apart.

My daughter has typically not liked fireworks.   She can't see them and the noise is less than fun to her.   I was hoping she wouldn't be terrified of them like she has been in prior years and to her credit, she just came inside and spent the time with me.  

I would have gone outside with everyone except a fancy sparkler ember burned her thumb so when she came in crying, I suggested we take a bath.   She's been interested in shaving lately and has made a huge mess of the tub with a bottle of shaving cream and a bladeless razor.   I tried to distract her from the fireworks, saying she could shave me and we'd get in the tub together.  

In part, I wanted to get her washed after being around the other children.   She tries to keep distanced, but she needs to be guided and that means people have to touch her to move her towards or more likely away from something.   A bath with lots of soap would kill any virus that might have gotten on her.

Since there were people outside, I suggested a bath in the dark.   This worked for her and me and we had fun in the tub with the dog anxiously panting beside us.   The dog couldn't tell from what direction the fireworks were coming from and so didn't know how to get away from them.  She did better than I thought she would though and calmly say there while I had soap put all over me by my daughter.

The fireworks are over and my in-laws have just left.   It was a good day.  The best part for me being the homemade peach pie my mother-in-law made.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son gets obsessed.   We told him he'd like the Avatar cartoon series but he wasn't interested until we got him to watch one episode.   Now he can't get back to the television fast enough to see the next episode.    He's going to be in a showhole for sure when he's seen all the episodes.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While my daughter and I were having our bath in the dark my mother-in-law came in and read to us in the dark via the light of her iPad her latest story she'd just finished about Buster the dog.   Buster went to meet Grandma and Grandpa this episode and got cookies to eat.   She and I listened quietly while Nana read.  My daughter loves the Buster stories Nana writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment