Thursday, September 26, 2019

Not Ready Yet

I lost my temper last night.   It was both serious and tactical.   Serious because I was just that upset.   But tactical in that I wanted my daughter to get an understanding or hear a perspective different than her own.  I got through but it was at a price.

My son was wanting to mediate or change the subject.   We told him to go on upstairs to bed.   My husband ended up taking the two of them upstairs while I worked on things that needed finishing up downstairs.

About five minutes later I went up, opened the door to find them talking about being respectful with their father in what looked to be a parent-led discussion.   I waited for a break and then explained that I didn't like how the night ended.   My daughter came out from under her tent-like bed, all covered in blankets hanging down from the bunk above.

She gave me a hug and we cried together.   My son came over and joined in the hug and then they said Dad had to get in on it.   It was a full family hug.   As I disentangled myself from my daughter I told them I was sorry for losing my temper.   My son said, "Mom, I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you were ready to be a parent."

The Big Boy Update: My son likes getting up and ready for school early these days/.   He will ask if we can go ahead and leave.   Now that he's discovered what a steamer is at Starbucks, he wants to go a lot of mornings.   He finishes the drink in the short ride from coffee to campus.   He might branch out and try another flavor eventually.   For now, he likes caramel steamed milk.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has wanted to have a pet store when she grows up for several years now.   Today she told her brother and me, "when I grow up, all my stores are going to be pet-free.   My son and I were confused until we realized she meant it was free to have or bring pets.   I told her I thought the wording was a bit strange,  We said we thought she meant pet-friendly."

No comments:

Post a Comment