Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Cancelling School

School has been canceled for the public schools here tomorrow.   Hurricane Dorian is coming up from the south, but won't be heading towards us.   And if it did...there would be ample time to cancel school.   Like a half day's notice, maybe more.

If there is snow and some of the areas of the county can't be serviced by school busses I could understand maybe.   I'm just confused by the canceling this early before we know enough.

And perhaps I wouldn't mind at all was it not for the additional notes in the cancellation announcement.   Back when I was in school we had a number of "snow days" built into the calendar.   We could miss a certain number and not have to make anything up.   We always wanted to miss just enough that we didn't have to stay in school longer at the end of the year.

But in this case, my daughter's year-round track will be missing school tomorrow, on account of the threat of possible weather.   The makeup day is Saturday.   This Saturday.   Three days from now.   Unless "September 7th" on the announcement was for another year.

Families have plans on the weekends.   Soccer games, family visiting, playdates, cultural experiences.   Things happen that can't happen during the week.   Some of the things are not something that can be done at another time.

I wrote a note to my daughter's VI teacher about my disappointment—that we are planning on going to the Greek festival with Mrs. Aagaard, my daughter's retired braillist.   I'm planning on still going.

The Big Boy Update:  My son stole money out of his sister's bank in order to get something for himself.  Please don't tell him you read this here, he would be very upset.   The reason I'm writing about it is that I told him enough of the evidence I'd found for him to know he had been found out.   His father was there with me so I also let him know he would not be in trouble and did he steal his sister's money?   He admitted he did.   I told him I was proud of him for telling the truth, especially when he didn't know how much trouble he would get in.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   I came inside tonight to get something my husband and son were asking for in the front yard.   My daughter was sniffling and when she heard me she burst into tears.   Why was she upset?   She was alone in the house, something she didn't realize until she started calling out names and no one answered.   So she got scared and sort of panicked a little.   Her fears are getting the better of her as she's processing the blindness and working through all the fears that go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment