Thursday, September 12, 2019

Creepy Head

I've been watching videos on different hairstyles I can do on my daughter.  Some of them are simple and quick while others I can't help but watch because they look so beautiful and complex.  I tried one on her yesterday that was fairly easy, but her hair wasn't clean and the type of hair she has is fine and stick to itself so I had to do a rush job with it in the morning while she ate breakfast.

What I need is practice.   And I had an Idea.   I'd been watching some of these videos and the hair/head/person didn't look real.   When the stylist was finished they'd turn the model around and it turned out to be a mannequin head.   I'd heard stylists had practice heads they could use to color, cut and style but I'd never looked into them before.  

I was really surprised.  At two things.  First, the model heads were very inexpensive.  I read a lot of reviews because I remember the hair on the Barbie and other dolls from when I was a child.  The hair was sewn into the scalp in large chunks and while the hair looked okay and voluminous down, if you put it up in a ponytail it was obvious it was three patches sewn into the crown.

But the reviews were good on most of the models.   The other thing I was surprised at was how many of them advertised, "100% human hair".   A full head of 24" hair, including the head, the box, "styling tools" (a comb and a clip), mounting bracket to fix it to a table and shipping for $17.99 was not real human hair.   No way, no how.   But at that price, I was willing to take the risk.

Today I got the head in with blonde hair similar to my daughters in color and it's nice. Really nice for that price.   I showed my daughter and son.   My son wanted to attack it.   My daughter compared the hair length and said it was similar to mine.   My husband said, "that thing is just creepy."   I think my son agrees.

Maybe I'll get better at braiding the hair on this mannequin head so I can be more quick and accurate with my daughter, who does like her hair done, but doesn't like to sit still for it.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a day off from school today and mostly off from screens.  He did a lot of reading and then went over to Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Margaret's house for some late afternoon gaming and dinner.  He's been doing a lot of reading lately.  My husband got him several books today so we can encourage his reading.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has also been reading a lot.  He braillest told me today the book she's requested (one of the Ramona Quimby series longer books) is over 340 pages when embossed in braille.   She said she's hoping that will last her through the three-week track out coming up.   I think I'm going to try and read some of it as well so I get some more practice with braille.

No comments:

Post a Comment