Monday, September 23, 2019

Hair Styling

Remember the creepy head?  The hair styling mannequin I got to practice on that my son and husband thought was creepy?   It turns out my daughter thinks it's creepy too.

It's made the rounds around the house for various reasons and people think it's either interesting or strange that I'd have it.   I've been having a good time with it though.   I have it attached to the top of the dog's cage, on account of it's a good height to work with, being not too high and not too low.   I have it facing the window, so my son and husband don't have to look at the "creepy" face.   Fortunately, the dog doesn't seem to care about it and hasn't minded hair dangling down on the edge of her cage.

I found a YouTube channel where a mother and daugher demonstrate all kinds of what looks like highly complex hair styles that turn out to be quite doable when broken down into steps.   Every day I try something new.

My hope was to learn how to more quickly be able to do things with hair so I could put my daughter's now long hair up in different styles.   She doesn't want me to do things much now because I'm slow and the results aren't always able to stay in place well.   I'm also not good at working with her hair without making her uncomfortable.  

I've learned a lot though, most notably some tips on how to work with her hair in a way that I think will be more comfortable to her.   For the past several days I've been trying to get her to feel the hairstyles and she's balked.   Today, her friend next door, Madison, wanted to do a braided style with me.   When we got done I thought my daughter would want to feel it, but again, she asked if I would please stop talking about it.

Tonight I found out why.   She doesn't want to have to touch the head—because she heard it was creepy from her brother and father.   She is actually fine with me styling her hair, she just wants me to describe the style to her instead.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a three-day weekend that's just ending.   He and I talked about no screens during week days and he wasn't upset about it at all.   He had a good bit of screen time this weekend and I told him he it was a balance, having more screens on the weekend, meaning none on weekdays.   I'm glad he was fine with it.  He did well last week with no screens.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has preferred to eat cafeteria food since going to her current school two years ago.   Tonight she asked if she could bring her lunch in since we had extra fruit from the Y Guides campout this weekend we were suggesting her brother take in his lunch box.   She wanted to make sure we were able to eat it before it went bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment