Thursday, September 28, 2017

Welcome to the Decade

Today was my husband’s birthday.   I’m older than he is by a number of years.   Not that many years, but enough to make me envious of his youth when I remember his age from time to time.   Neither my husband or I celebrate birthdays with much, well, celebration.    The only thing he asked for was to absolutely, positively not have a surprise birthday party.   

That birthday party not having part was fairly easy.   I’m mostly lazy and not coordinating something secretive for someone who really didn’t want people jumping out from behind the furniture and yelling at him on his birthday was an easy sell for me.   So I did nothing. 

I figured something would present itself for his birthday.   And it did in a round about way.    Through a series of unconnected conversations that eventually became a cohesive plan, we revamped our mechanical room.    Crap was cleaned out, thrown away and moved elsewhere.   The concrete floor was painted blue and sealed.   One concrete wall was painted adobe red and a second concrete wall was painted some green color I don’t remember the name of.   

We ordered a very colorful rug that covers two-thirds of the room and lights up in black light.   And then we moved the pinball machine and old arcade machine in the room.   My neighbor had a pinball machine that is now in the room and then—remember that birthday thing I’d hope would present itself?   Something presented itself.    

Phone calls were made.   Our neighbor and my husband went on recon missions to the retro arcade bar downtown.   Backordered stock was investigated and then shipment was made and delivery made to the house here.   We didn’t think it would happen, but we got the pinball machine my husband wanted one day before his birthday.   

It’s cool.   It’s fun.  It’s complex.   It makes fun noises.   It’s high tech (there’s even a phone app).   And it was the perfect birthday present for my husband.   Here’s what our mechanical room looks like from the door:  



My husband is forty-years-old now.   Welcome to the decade.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to know what I was eating this afternoon.   I told him the little tin contained little tiny pieces of unsweetened licorice.   I told him I wasn’t sure if he’d like it but I thought it was great.   He held his hand out and asked for one saying, “I like to try new things”.   He did eat it for a bit but I caught him rolling down the window and throwing it out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Guys, I had completely forgotten about this but apparently it still happens.    My daughter at dinner tonight launched into, and completed successfully, The Pledge of Allegiance.   She learned it in public school.   It’s just been a long time since I was in school and I have no recollection of ever saying it in all my school years.  


No comments:

Post a Comment